Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only

Unethical No-Kill Shelter Euthanized Healthy or Treatable Animals

• 1.  Unethical No-Kill Shelter Euthanized Healthy or Treatable Animals

Posted 09-18-2018 10:38 AM

I have recently fostered three days old kittens rescued from the streets of Detroit. I covered all cost for care/supplies/food, etc. They were examined and vaccinated by my vet at ten weeks of age to confirm they were all healthy prior to being placed at the shelter. Within three days all the kittens were killed because the executive director of this non-kill shelter believed they might have been exposed to another kitten in the same room, but in a different cage that might have had undiagnosed treatable ringworm. There was no testing done, nor were they examined by a vet to verify this diagnosis. No quarantine was done, nor was any treatment even considered.  I was not contacted and given the option to immediately retrieve the kittens. A necropsy was denied per my request. My vet wrote a letter confirming that none of kittens had any skin lesions whatsoever. I have received support from individuals from the Michigan Pet Fund Alliance and Attorneys for Animals that what this shelter did was very wrong. It was recommended that the shelter have a comprehensive assessment performed by Maddie’s Shelter Medicine Program. There has been an investigation scheduled by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development.  I am presently working with the press to get this story printed, so this shelter will update their policies and procedures to prevent this from ever happening again. I have also received support from other volunteers and employees that this is common practice for this shelter to save time, cost and space. Any suggestions anyone can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

#OrganizationalManagement