Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Managed Admissions for Municipal Shelter

Posted 10-19-2018 01:15 PM

Would anyone be willing to have a phone call with us in Indianapolis to discuss how you implemented managed admissions in your large, open admissions municipal shelter?  We admit nearly 15,000 animals and have minimal staffing, but really want to take a shot at this.

#OrganizationalManagement
    #managingintake
    #managedadmissions

• 2.  RE: Managed Admissions for Municipal Shelter

Posted 10-22-2018 11:11 AM

Danielle, have you checked out the Managed Admissions learning track on our website? We have a webcast, a few articles and some videos that may help: https://www.maddiesfund.org/managed-admission-learning-track.htm  I love that you're looking to move to managed admissions. Good luck! 

• 3.  RE: Managed Admissions for Municipal Shelter

Posted 10-22-2018 12:29 PM

Yes! Very helpful.  

• 4.  RE: Managed Admissions for Municipal Shelter

Posted 10-22-2018 11:17 AM

We also have an upcoming "Lifesaving Webcast Series: Intake Mitigation and Managed Intake" webcast with Brevard County Sheriff's Office Animal Shelter Personnel, Dr. Sarah Boyd and Joe Hellebrand on November 15th:  https://www.maddiesfund.org/lss-intake-mitigation-and-managed-intake.htm?p=0EECED7D-7E3F-4ECB-A2D8-CD9099F21539  I'm sure this would help!

• 5.  RE: Managed Admissions for Municipal Shelter

Posted 10-22-2018 11:19 AM

@Mike Greenberg @Cameron Moore do you have any recommendations for Danielle?

• 6.  RE: Managed Admissions for Municipal Shelter

Posted 10-23-2018 06:50 AM

Danielle emailed me yesterday and I gave her contacts for 4 amazing shelter directors with successful programs as well as linked her to 2 recent Maddie's webinars on the topic (Shelly Simmons with Greenville County and Mandy Evans regarding Home2Home). Also provided the link to ACCT Philly's website which is full of terrific info for the public on safety net/managed intake.

• 7.  RE: Managed Admissions for Municipal Shelter

Posted 10-24-2018 10:09 AM

Awesome! Thanks, Cameron!

• 8.  RE: Managed Admissions for Municipal Shelter

Posted 10-22-2018 12:26 PM

Brevard County definitely has one of the most successful surrender mitigation and managed intake programs around. They've successfully been able to help 80% of their owner surrender dogs and cats out of the shelter since inception (with one staff member running the program). Memphis Animal Services and Aiken South Carolina also have good programs. All were recently implemented (within the past couple of years) and all started out believing this would never work in their shelter. I'm happy to connect you with the leadership team at either of these shelters. Keep in mind that you don't need a ton of staff, you simply need to compile a list of resources that will truly be helpful to the public, post all information on your website and a system in place. I would be happy to speak with  you any time as well! You're welcome to email me directly cameron.moore@ufl.edu or call me at 904.422.4773.