Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Please help!!!

Posted 07-04-2019 04:02 PM

My 2 year old chihuahua recently got stung by a wasp and went into anaphylactic shock. I had no idea what happened rushed her to the vet and they had to recesitat her back to life. It all happened within 20 mins and it was the most horrifying experience. I am scared to death just to let her in are backyard now ( where this happened ) and I feel bad keeping her inside. I have been looking for a epipen for this kind of thing but I’m not having much luck. She is 9 pounds does anyone know where I can find such a thing and the dosage she will need?? I’d be forever greatful for some advice.. Thanks

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 2.  RE: Please help!!!

Posted 07-04-2019 04:58 PM

That would be something you would need to discuss with your Veterinarian. I'm pretty sure your Veterinarian will be able to point you in the right direction.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: Please help!!!

Posted 07-05-2019 08:22 AM

They said they did not have anything like that and did not know where to get it that I would have to research it online which I’ve been doing but they only have a epipen and a epipen jr. and my dog is too small for those.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 4.  RE: Please help!!!

Posted 07-05-2019 04:35 PM

If this can be injected under the skin (as opposed to in vein or muscle)  it is quite easy,  (I have done this with diabetic dog.)  You shouldn't need an epipen, bur could get vet to prescribe vial of appropriate antihistamine from what I read dosage is 1mg per pound, so this should be doable for small dog.   If your vet can't help you,  look elsewhere.   Perhaps a nearby VCA or other animal hospital.    You should know location of 24 hour emergency vet nearby in case of off hour emergency anyway,  An emergency is not the time to be trying to find one.

Good kuck.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 5.  RE: Please help!!!

Posted 07-05-2019 02:59 PM

Ask your vet and if they still dont know consult someone different. https://dogtime.com/dog-health/52935-anaphylaxis-dogs-symptoms-causes-treatments

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 6.  RE: Please help!!!

Posted 07-06-2019 12:47 PM

GO TO A DIFFERENT VET! You need an answer from a more knowledgable source. I'm not degrading your vet...who saved you dog's life for goodness sake! I am saying you need someone more knowledgeable. If you live in or near a big city that should not be difficult. Perhaps there are epi-pens for dogs like humans who are allergic to bee stings use.

#PetHealthandNutrition