Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Kitten behavior

Posted 06-10-2019 11:38 AM

I just adopted a kitten on the 8th of June and I'm concerned about her health. She's up to date on everything but her booster shots and she's 6 weeks old, according to the shelter. I've made an appointment with the vet for the 17th, but I am worried about her food and water intake, as well as her lethargy. She hasn't had much to drink, no matter how many times I sit her in front of her water dish. She also isn't eating much, but seems to eat when she feels like it. She was very active the day we brought her home up until about 3 in the morning, and since then she seems to only want to sleep. I understand kittens are very sleepy animals, but is there a way I can get her to drink and eat more? I'm worried she may be depressed from being taken away from her cage mates or stressed from the change of scenery.

#PetHealthandNutrition
    #shelterkitten

• 2.  RE: Kitten behavior

Posted 06-11-2019 11:23 AM

PLEASE! Call your vet and tell the appointment making receptionist that you have an EMERGENCY and cannot wait until the 17th. Insist that they find an opening for your little kitten for today or tomorrow at the very latest! If they won't/can't, call another vet and see if there is a 24 hour emergency vet in your area.

You can force the baby to drink more water with an eye dropper. Push the tip very carefully into the side of his or her mouth and squeeze the rubber tip one drop at a time. Is the kitten pooping and peeing? If not, warm a cloth and rub the kitten's genitals very softly to encourage excretion.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: Kitten behavior

Posted 06-11-2019 11:26 AM

Yes, the kitten maybe be depressed from being the only kitten (you might consider adopting a litter mate or a cage mate). Yes, the kitten is probably exhausted from the ordeal of being adopted, driven home, looking around, being excited and fearful and lots of sleep is normal. But you are the kitten's human now and should call the doc.

#PetHealthandNutrition