Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Senior dogs adoptions

Posted 08-07-2018 06:20 PM

Any ideas on how to get people to look at our senior dogs

#AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms

• 2.  RE: Senior dogs adoptions

Posted 08-08-2018 06:49 AM

Great photos are the main thing that seems to get our senior dogs attention online. Cute sweaters, bow-ties, hats, or just posing with a favorite toy help catch viewer's gaze. We generally try to avoid sad-sounding bios, and focus on the dog's best attributes. (Are they already housebroken? Crate-trained? Used to napping on the couch for the entire workday?) Try to describe that particular dog as an individual and how they would fit into a home so adopters can imagine living with them, rather than focusing on how they came to the shelter or what their medical status is.

When we are talking with possible adopters in person, I think emphasizing the medical care the dog has already received is helpful. Costs of vet care and worries about medical issues that senior pets are prone to are the biggest concerns I hear. It is very reassuring if I can show them bloodwork results, explain which dental needs have already been addressed, tell them about the FNA that was done on lumps and bumps, etc. The adopter knows they won't have to cover those costs right away after adoption, and it helps them feel more comfortable if they are taking a pet with a known medical history.

The positioning of the dogs in the kennels can be a factor too. If you have adorable puppies or an immaculately groomed fluffy dog in the first runs visitors see, they may not venture further! If you have a friendly, outgoing senior, make them the first dog folks see, or even have them spend some time at your adoption desk or in the lobby, greeting people.

• 3.  RE: Senior dogs adoptions

Posted 08-09-2018 06:30 PM

Thank you so much for your imput.  I will certainly use these tactucs.  We are also having a senior adoption event at pet smart on Saturday

• 4.  RE: Senior dogs adoptions

Posted 08-10-2018 09:27 AM

HI I'm Sherri and I am the CEO of Muttville and the founder, too. We are in SF and rescue only seniors. I say we make seniors sexy!1 but it is in the marketing, for sure. Check out our website, look at our bios for these dogs, that might help. More people than ever are looking for older, mellower dogs. They are easier and great first time dogs, well some of them are. Also, getting them a full vet check up will take away some of an adopter's reluctance by painting a clear picture of their needs. www.muttville.org Hope this helps.

• 5.  RE: Senior dogs adoptions

Posted 08-10-2018 06:02 PM

Thank you so much.  I am going to check. It out now

• 6.  RE: Senior dogs adoptions

Posted 08-09-2018 11:19 AM

Hi Luckylea7,

You should consider sending them out to foster- where its a lot easier to get great pix for social media.  You also might consider having someone attend the Muttville apprenticeship. Are you familiar with Muttville?

• 7.  RE: Senior dogs adoptions

Posted 08-09-2018 06:28 PM

Can you tell me about Muttville.  I am very interested

• 8.  RE: Senior dogs adoptions

Posted 08-09-2018 06:32 PM

Also about the apprenticeship

• 9.  RE: Senior dogs adoptions

Posted 08-10-2018 10:43 AM

Just learned that the apprenticeship is no longer available. But Sherri answered about Muttville, below

• 10.  RE: Senior dogs adoptions

Posted 08-20-2018 07:02 AM

Facebook live, adoption fee reduction, address people’s reasons for not considering a senior dog, see of your Vet will give a free exam following adoption, feature on website...