Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  basic medicine advice please?

Posted 08-04-2019 07:46 PM

I picked up an adult tomcat this evening. He will go to vet for neuter on Tuesday. He has about 3 smallish and clean looking abscesses under his neck. I want to start oral antibiotics tonight. I have amoxi, doxy, zeniquin and metronidazole. Which is better, the amoxi or the doxy? Thanks!!

#Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization
    #bestantibforabscess?

• 2.  RE: basic medicine advice please?

Posted 08-05-2019 06:51 AM

Good morning!  I'm  a firm believer that unless you're a vet, you shouldn't give medication to an animal.  A vet will know, once he's examined the cat, exactly what medication is best for him and what the proper dosage is.  AND he may find other issues that need to be addressed that you may have missed.  

• 3.  RE: basic medicine advice please?

Posted 08-06-2019 09:13 AM

Well he will go to the vet as I mentioned-- he's at the low cost clinic today for his neuter and shots, but they wont look at his wounds. That will be tomorrow. Some of us don't have unlimited funds, ya know, and we try to use our decent brains to help as many animals as possible with their fairly straightforward issues, as well and as fast as we can. I really don't know why you commented, super unhelpful and a pompous, not very subtle put down-- I know the value of vet care, and don't need a stranger gratuitously pointing it out. Please don't answer me again.

• 4.  RE: basic medicine advice please?

Posted 08-06-2019 06:28 PM

I have been very active rescuing cats for 30 years and was able to rescue twice as many by doing a lot of my own vet care. I had the support of my veterinarian who provided me with information and medical supplies. 

This is my first day on Maddie's pet forum  and it Is very disappointing to see unhelpful comments when someone is asking for advice.

Keep using your common sense and fighting the good fight VictoriaV, and may God bless your efforts.

• 5.  RE: basic medicine advice please?

Posted 08-07-2019 11:16 AM

Thank you for posting your question to the forum! Please keep in mind that the forum is a place where people can share their opinions and experiences. Although we may not completely agree with someone or their advice given, please refrain from being disrespectful toward other forum members. You can review our Community Guidelines here or contact us if you have any questions.

• 6.  RE: basic medicine advice please?

Posted 08-07-2019 01:18 PM

Thanks PurrPalsDeb.  In fact I had the little booger at the vet today, and he confirmed that the amoxi was the right call.  So that's good, because I got a 2 day jump on the infection!  And my vet comped the visit, so now we are way ahead of the game.

As to the "go to the vet" comment, I don't think of that as advice.  It's just condescension and a put down.  I know to go to the vet.  I do go to the vet, A LOT. Pointing out that I don't appreciate gratuitous and unconstructive comments isn't disrespectful, I don't think, now is it?  Feel free to let me know, if you care to do so.  Lots of fora expressly disallow the "go to the vet" comment because its so unhelpful.  I think its ok to politely point that it was a useless comment.  And gratuitous.