Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  DNA Breed Fundraiser Idea

Posted 09-16-2019 01:05 PM

We are looking at a promotion to go along with two adoption events and two smaller fundraising events.

If you're like us and the vast majority of your rescues are mixed everyone wants to know the breeds. Obviously, we tell them that it doesn't matter and to choose a dog based on things other than breed. We use a breed statement on our site to further explain what we mean.

Thank said, more and more people are using companies to do their DNA and posting them on our Facebook (with our permission) and it's been fun as a sort of party game thing.

We are thinking of having the test done on my dog, he's become sort of the mascot, and then running it as a contest. People will be able to vote online or at all of our events for X amount of money. We do have a raffle license so this falls under that category. We will show his adoption paperwork and then people can guess as many breeds as they want and what percentages. Trust me, we get some wild guesses already.

Our thoughts are to announce the winner after our last event in October. Whoever guesses the closest to what the DNA test says, and is the first to vote in case of a tie, will win. It will be set up as a cash raffle. So if my dog is actually only 20% as his highest breed they will win win 20% of the pot. The higher his highest breed the more they win. All it will cost us is the test and of course, it gives us a fun promotion to run with.

Has anyone done anything like this? Pitfalls? Suggestions on wording?

If you've done this before and can send me any verbiage I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

#General

• 2.  RE: DNA Breed Fundraiser Idea

Posted 09-17-2019 09:35 AM

Sounds like a clever idea! Please post success if you end up doing this & have time. Thanks so much!

#General

• 3.  RE: DNA Breed Fundraiser Idea

Posted 09-17-2019 10:14 AM

I will be posting everything from A to Z and hopefully it will be an easy to create and popular fundraiser,

#General

• 4.  RE: DNA Breed Fundraiser Idea

Posted 09-17-2019 12:56 PM

What a fun and cute way to raise funds.

#General