Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Tools and techniques to use during extreme circumstances

Posted 02-12-2020 07:57 AM

Hello All,

We recently experienced a terrible dog bite incident that sent our senior kennel staff to the hospital, requiring multiple stitches.  We don't get this kind of thing regularly (once every 4-5 years) but when we do we talk about how to make it "better" next time. In this particular incident there was no warning and no provocation. We don't normally handle "dangerous" dogs but when taking in strays and owner surrenders we don't always know every possible story.

So, I was hoping to get some insight into what other shelters use when a serious dog bite happens.  Do you have bite sticks, air horns, pepper spray, tasers, etc.?  What training have you found helpful to prepare for these situations?  Any advice would help.

Thanks,

Emily  Spurgeon

Adoption Program Manager

Animal Allies Humane Society

Duluth MN

#AnimalBehavior,TrainingandEnrichment

• 2.  RE: Tools and techniques to use during extreme circumstances

Posted 02-12-2020 02:46 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the incident at your shelter :( We just had something similar happen, and just today had a local trainer come in to lead a safe handling training that's a level above and beyond our "regular" kennel safety and animal handling training. One of the most helpful pieces of the training was taking time to practice different leash holds and maneuvers with life-sized stuffed dogs. It feels a little silly at the time, but is so helpful in starting to build muscle memory. As a starting place, ASPCA Pro has a good webinar ("Defensive Dog Handling") that outlines helpful tools, how to use them, and other handling procedures for potentially dangerous dogs. Making sure you have safety tools easily accessible - and that staff know how to use them - is critical. We keep noise makers (shake cans, air horns, compressed air canisters), citronella spray, and break sticks/bite sticks in specific, marked places in the kennels, and all staff working in/around carry walkie talkies so that they can quickly call for assistance if needed.

I hope this is helpful!

Cheers,

Cynthia

Animal Care Manager, Humane Society of Chittenden County, South Burlington VT 

• 3.  RE: Tools and techniques to use during extreme circumstances

Posted 02-13-2020 02:01 PM

Thank you Cynthia, this is very helpful! 

• 4.  RE: Tools and techniques to use during extreme circumstances

Posted 02-16-2020 08:09 AM

Does anyone know where else I can post this as a caring citizen for free?