Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Stress, anxiety, fear newly adopted

Posted 05-21-2020 05:27 AM

Hello! I’m new to this forum but hoping to make some connections to help a dog we recently adopted. This Sunday it will be 4 weeks since we adopted a 5 year old Blue tick hound. His history- picked up as a strayIn North Carolina  in January, February he got a foster and got neutered. March he got heart worm treatment. Then he came to another foster In New York State. I think at this point we have had him for longer than the 2nd foster. 

He’s been very fearful but slowly coming out of his shell. We have 3 other dogs, he seems interested in them and their tails wag and they sniff each other. We were told by the vet that he should be kept quiet and not exercised until his last heart worm test in September. So we’ve been trying to follow that but this dog wants to expel energy. He goes for very slow walks in the evening. We just let him follow his nose. 

Yesterday was not a good day. He started off the day very fearful and jumpy. He wanted to stay outside in the backyard and did the majority of the day. We put him in his crate while I prepped dinner and help slept quietly. We let the dogs out before we sat down to dinner and my husband was out there with them tending a garden. I decided to get kibble ready with the thought they could eat while we ate...I went to the closet to fill the bowls and a terrible sound came from the backyard. The Blue tick was fighting with our Carolina dog. He had her flat on the ground. Neither my husband nor I saw why lead to this. We got them to stop, Carolina had a wound on her ear and he had hurt his front leg and was limping. Everyone ate and it was couch quiet time. He then growled at the resident dogs who wanted to come up on the couch and he hasn’t done that before. I’m very concerned. I know there is a 3days, 3 weeks and 3 month rule. We’ve always had four dogs and I would say that experienced in Adopting rescues. He likes other dogs. 

I’m so very concerned about this fear all of a sudden and not sure how to handle it, all while keeping in mind he cannot be exercised vigorously. 

does anyone have thoughts?

Thanks so much, Be well. 🌈🌸

#PetBehaviorandTraining
    #fearfuldogs
    #anxiety

• 2.  RE: Stress, anxiety, fear newly adopted

Posted 05-21-2020 07:31 AM

Thank you for this post!  I don't have any answers for you, unfortunately, but I'm also dealing with a newly adopted fearful doggo.  I'll be following (and I think I'm going to make a post of my own).  

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 3.  RE: Stress, anxiety, fear newly adopted

Posted 05-24-2020 05:43 PM

The fight could have been as simple as the Blue Tick feeling especially nervous, or vulnerable, and being bumped or accidentally cornered by the Carolina dog and over-reacting.  And then in some pain, he growled at the other dogs not to come on the couch.

Or it could be something more complicated.  Do the dogs seem relaxed around each other?  Do some seem to avoid the Blue Tick, or the Blue Tick avoid some of them?  Do they hang out with each other?

I would highly advise looking for a trainer with experience in multi-dog households. APDT might be a good place to start, since they are committed to non-dominance methods.

Until then, it would be best to always supervise the Blue Tick's interaction with the other dogs.  Do you think he might be in some pain?  Can you handle all parts of him without him reacting?

As for low-stress excercise, how about some mental excercise like trick training, scent games or those Ottoson toys?

Good luck!

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 4.  RE: Stress, anxiety, fear newly adopted

Posted 05-26-2020 11:25 PM

Before adopting a dog, it's important to pup-proof your home. Hide dangerous items such as chemicals, electrical wiring, and sharp objects—ask your parents to help you find good places for these things. But also, put away anything that could be viewed by your new dog as a toy.

Pet care product at retail : www.petcareclub.com

#PetBehaviorandTraining