Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Grant Writing Classes

Posted 01-03-2019 05:39 PM

I serve on the Board of Directors of a very young non-profit organization that was established to focus on providing cost-affordable spay and neuter services to the over populated Riverside County area.  We are ready to being the process of seeking and (hopefully) being awarded grants to aid in our efforts.  Do any of you have online grant writing classes that you would recommend?  We would be very grateful for any information you would be willing to share.  

#PeopleManagement

• 2.  RE: Grant Writing Classes

Posted 01-04-2019 06:29 AM

Good morning. I am only five months into this rescue journey so I am sure there are many who know a lot more. The ASPCA has good information on grant writing for this industry. I'm not the best online learner so I also looked at the local private college and they offered a two-part series including access to their database to search out opportunities. The local United Way had a class and the public libraries have an online class here. Most online classes I saw were shallow and linked to a buy my book offer. 

I ended up getting funding to take a 5-day class through the Grantsmanship Center. They will give a discount if you are a non-profit usually. I was quite impressed with the trainer and also with the small groups we broke into. I went to the class in mid-August, wrote my first grant in October, and just learned yesterday that we got it! It's pricey, but after the workshops that I took locally this made sense and I am so glad I went. https://www.tgci.com/training/grantsmanship-training-program-5-day

Hope this helps. And if anyone wants to start a grant writing for shelters Facebook group or forum here I'm happy to join. 

#PeopleManagement

• 3.  RE: Grant Writing Classes

• 4.  RE: Grant Writing Classes

Posted 01-07-2019 10:41 AM

• 5.  RE: Grant Writing Classes

Posted 02-05-2019 09:08 AM

Terez,

I was a professional grant writer for many years and I learned that the most important thing was to write each application specifically for the funding organization.  Many applicants have a great idea that they have written into a proposal.  Then they try to use that proposal instead of following the guidelines of the funding organization.  Funders have their own priorities and their guidelines reflect them.  They don't have time to read your wonderful proposal to see if it fits their goals.  Be prepared to rewrite your application for every funding organization.  In short - do it their way.

Good luck!

#PeopleManagement