Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  SOP's

Posted 01-22-2018 10:47 AM

Does anyone have an SOP that they actually like using or they think is user friendly for staff?  We have experienced a tremendous amount of change over the last year and I would prefer to find a SOP to customize rather than start from scratch.  Thanks!

#thedreadedsop
    #OrganizationalManagement

• 2.  RE: SOP's

Posted 01-29-2018 08:29 PM
      |   view attached

Kim, are you looking for general/operations stuff for the whole shelter, or something more specific (e.g. shelter medicine).

In terms of a starting point, I've attached a generic SOP template that the ASPCA put out a few years ago. I can't say that I've used it personally, but it looks like a good starting point.

If you're looking for deeper and wider shelter medicine protocols, Linda Jacobson from Toronto Humane has an incredible library and I'd be happy to introduce you to her if you've not met her yet.

Attachment(s)

doc
    generic-sop-manual.doc   328 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: SOP's

Posted 02-01-2018 09:17 AM

Hey,

I've seen the generic template before.  I guess I just want to see what other facilities include in their SOPs.  I certainly need medical protocols etc but I know there are some good SOPs in place already.  I don't want to start from scratch!

• 4.  RE: SOP's

Posted 01-30-2018 05:52 AM

Hi Mike, this is a great template, do you by chance know if there is a template for a rescue/shelter for cats only? I can certainly tweak this one, but was wondering if you have ever come across a cat rescue/shelter only SOP?

Thanks!

Kim Kamins

• 5.  RE: SOP's

Posted 01-30-2018 05:07 PM

Hi Kim:

Good question. I can't think of one off the top of my head. One suggestion might be to check out any of the cat-related groups here on the forum and ask them specifically. I'm sure that a lot of the folks involved in (say) community cat diversion and/or TNVR will have something, or be able to point you in the right direction. If you do come across something, please let us know!

• 6.  RE: SOP's

Posted 01-31-2018 05:35 AM

Thanks, Mike, that's a great idea.  I will keep you posted on anything I come across.

• 7.  RE: SOP's

Posted 02-06-2018 05:36 PM

Hi, We are putting one together this year and we are a cat-only shelter. If you are interested in seeing the final project I can send it to you. We think it will be completed by the end of Q1. Here's my email in case you want to chat offline: kristib@catadoptionteam.org.