Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Fireworks

Posted 07-04-2019 09:01 PM

Good evening, this is my first time adopting a kitten and I was wondering if the outdoor fireworks can effect the kittens mood? She is whiny?!

#General

• 2.  RE: Fireworks

Posted 07-05-2019 10:18 AM

How did your kitty do? Both my cat and my dog have been socialized to loud noises and they stay indoors, so were not bothered at all. 

#General

• 3.  RE: Fireworks

Posted 07-05-2019 04:10 PM

Fireworks may continue all weekend this year.    Fireworks bother many dogs,  either frightens them or hurts their ears.   I wouldn't be surprised if cats are bothered as well. many cats will be better at hiding their feelings as a survival instinct so it might not be as obvious that they are troubled.

Sometimes using cotton balls in dogs ears helps.  Not sure if this would work for cats as their ears are so much smaller.  If you try it make sure to only use cotton in outer ear.  Try anything else to minimize sound . Also if cat is comforted by being held,  by all means offer comfort.   Cat might also react to loud thunderstorms.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

#General

• 4.  RE: Fireworks

Posted 07-06-2019 12:50 PM

Sure, I think the kitten was probably frightened. Were you with her to see her reaction to the noise? How did she respond if you were there? If you were not there, hold her and cuddle her lots. Be very gentle and keep noise down in her environment. She needs tender loving care even if her whining is not do to fireworks noise. Keep her close, sleep with her close to you. Touch her often and say her name gently and with a smile of love and understanding.

#General

• 5.  RE: Fireworks

Posted 07-08-2019 07:31 AM

Hi Chell! 

How long have you had your kitten?  If it's just a day or two or even a few hours, she is probably scared about alot of things!  Imagine how you would feel if you were taken out of your known environment and put in a completely different one, with new people, no other kittens, new toys, nothing that smell like the home she had & now there's new noises, too!   She may be just adjusting, or it could be the noise of the fireworks?  If, on the other hand, you have had her for a few days or weeks & she has adjusted to her environment & schedule, then is probably is the fireworks.

I foster so we get alot of fearful babies around here of all ages!  When kittens whine, or talk to us, I just carry on a conversation with them in very calm voice, doing my best to soothe them...  I tell them it will be okay, pick them up & rub them calmly & snuggle them closely, holding them as much as possible... it seems to calm them a little.  When we really fussy babies we sit down with them allowing them to sit in our lap, snuggling & stroking with them, focusing completely on them...  They will continue to complain, but will eventually slow their fussiness.  When we get little babies, we hold them close to us, on our chest and pat their little hind ends, like a baby - believe it or now it soothes them, at least enough to get a bottle into them & then they stop complaining & see that we are working with them and for them!

My best suggestion is to keep a regular schedule with your baby, she will learn to expect it and that will become her comfort with you...

I know this probably didn't help, but I hope by now she is settling in?  Do let me know!

#General