Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Creating Cultural Change around fostering

Posted 01-09-2020 07:33 AM

Hi, my name is Stephanie Wright.  I am the Secretary of an animal rescue that has been in existence for a year.  We have broad visions to have our own shelter someday but for now we board our rescues at a boarding facility and foster when we can find someone who is willing to foster.  We are building our programs individually and as securely as possible.  We try to learn from others so that we do not have a rescue that will fall apart at the first winds of chaos.  Therefore, we want to have a foster program that is both diverse and strong filled with  people who are available to foster short-term, long-term, and in emergency situations.

#introductions
    #FosteringaPet

• 2.  RE: Creating Cultural Change around fostering

Posted 01-09-2020 08:05 AM

Hi Stephanie, I am happy to share with you our processes. Did you have any specific questions?

#FosteringaPet

• 3.  RE: Creating Cultural Change around fostering

Posted 01-09-2020 08:24 AM

Yes!  Do you have an application process? Do you do home visits?  We are providing the food, pee pads, etc for our fosters.  How do you handle your fosters?

#FosteringaPet

• 4.  RE: Creating Cultural Change around fostering

Posted 01-09-2020 11:22 AM

Hi Stephanie! Have you checked out Maddie's University? We have a few free online apprenticeship courses that may help you with this: 

• Building Foster Programs for Cats and Kittens
    • Enhancing Your Dog Foster Program with Short-term Foster and Field Trips
    • Growing Your Adult Dog Foster Program 

Go to www.maddiesuniversity.org, click on Maddie's Apprenticeship Portal, then scroll down to Maddie's Online Apprenticeships to check them out. I hope this helps!

We also offer in-person apprenticeships across the country and 9 of them are specifically about foster programs. If you're interested, check them out here: https://www.maddiesfund.org/apprenticeship-program.htm

#FosteringaPet

• 5.  RE: Creating Cultural Change around fostering

Posted 01-13-2020 08:46 AM

Hi Cabin Critters Rescue,

Good for you! I think fostering is one of the most effect ways to save more lives, evaluate behavior and find good matches with new owners. Puppies and kittens present an even more powerful opportunity. Their socialization period lasts from about 3-16 weeks and during this time we have unique opportunity to positively impact their behavior for the rest of their lives. This is why I am currently developing an online training series for fosters and people raising litters to make fostering easier and to create better outcomes for the animals.

We are still in the early stages of developing content for fosters but here is an article on 'How to Prepare For and Pick Up Your New Foster' that includes a 'Foster Pick Up Checklist'. https://worldreadypets.com/articles/how-to-prepare-for-and-pick-up-your-new-foster. If you'd like to be notified whenever we had new resources or if you think your fosters would like to participate in beta testing our training videos, you can join our mailing list (we don't spam or sell your info) Sign Up Here

A lot of rescues have their paperwork online so if you search online for fostering packets' or 'how to foster' you will get a lot of ideas. In my experience, rescues provide all wet and dry food, vet care (for fosters only, not household pets), toys, bedding, leashes, litter and cages. For young kittens and puppies you'll want to supply heating pads, pee pads, formula, bottles (if no mom) and a scale. (weight loss is one of the earliest indicators that there is a medical problem).

I wish I had more resources for you right now but many more are coming. Best of luck!

Diane

#FosteringaPet

• 6.  RE: Creating Cultural Change around fostering

Posted 01-14-2020 02:18 PM

Hi Stephanie. My daugher and I are foster parents and after having fostered almost 100 kittens & cats over 3 years, we developed a free mobile app called Opening Cages that helps foster parents be more successful at fostering. It provides foster parents with confidence, organization & education which helps foster parents foster longer.

It can be used independently or in conjunction with the shelter so the shelter can see the status of their foster animals that are out in foster homes. We provide this service at no charge to both the foster parent and the shelter.

Here is a short clip about the app when we launched it just a few months ago

If you have any questions, please let us know. We would be happy to help.

#FosteringaPet