Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Skin rash

Posted 01-22-2020 01:41 PM
    I can't remember where I buried this image. Sorry for the inconvenience!

anyone offer help as to what’s going on with my dogs skin? Vet wasn’t too concerned. No bloodwork done. Just prescribed an oral antibiotic which doesn’t seem to be helping. He’s licking constantly which is creating huge sores on his belly. Also finding little bumps all over back & neck (so I know it’s not the licking causing these)

should I seek out a 2nd opinion? Anyone have a pet or experience with something that looks like this?  I feel so bad for him. I know he’s uncomfortable ☹️

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 2.  RE: Skin rash

Posted 01-23-2020 12:29 PM

I'm not sure what it is and I'm not a vet, but if your dog is uncomfortable and your current vet isn't worried about it I would definitely seek out a 2nd opinion to help your dog be more comfortable.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: Skin rash

Posted 01-24-2020 07:54 AM

I would most certainly get a 2nd opinion.

I'm not a vet but we had 2 dogs who had skin allergies.  It looked similar to how your dogs skin looks.  One of our dogs had it because she was allergic to red meat.  So we had to feed her food that had chicken or fish, no red meat.

Our other dog had skin allergies that were awful.  She was allergic to something outside.  Our vet told us to give her benadryl.  It helped to a small extent, mostly to make us feel like we were doing something, but wasn't nearly enough to help her.

So we took her to a homeopathic vet and did research online.  Long story short we had a long list of daily routines to help keep her skin clean and that made a huge difference in her allergies for the better.

But you never know what it could be with your sweet dog, maybe not allergies.  I would definitely get a 2nd opinion and make sure that vet takes it seriously.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 4.  RE: Skin rash

Posted 01-24-2020 12:02 PM

Absolutely get a second opinion.  I had rescued a dog with (flea) dermatitis. did not currently have fleas but had in past which resulted in reaction.   Can't remember details of treatment, may have been given medication to relieve itching, but also included frequent baths with medicated shampoo,  beginning in my case every 5 days to a week,  then every two weeks,  finally (perhaps after 2 to 3 months, about every 6 to eight weeks for rest of her life.  She also had a thick welt around her neck. (under collar) which did not go away with baths.  Vet gave me some medicated cream to leave on,  and it cleared up and from a mangy looking mutt she became a beautiful and most importantly comfortable loving companion.   This might be something else such as mange,  probably not life threatening, but not the way we want our pets to live. 

#PetHealthandNutrition