Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Presentation Software/Platform

• 1.  Presentation Software/Platform

Posted 07-11-2018 12:50 PM

Hi all!  

I'm gearing up for a few presentations and thought I'd reach out to see what software/platform folks are using.  Currently we're using PowerPoint but I'm wondering if that's a bit outdated?  Anyone use Prezi, Google Slides, Slidebean, or anything else?  Pros/cons for what you're using?

I appreciate the feedback! 

Katie

#DataandTechnology

• 2.  RE: Presentation Software/Platform

Posted 07-11-2018 12:59 PM

We use a variety of software packages for different things but as for doing a slide show, we use PowerPoint. It's universal and "everyone" has it.  The few of us on staff that use it, know it and we have a few volunteers that help us with presentations and they know it. It'd be hard to change to something new (learning curve, getting the software, etc.). We don't use it a lot as we don't make a ton of presentations, but when we have to use it, it works for our needs.

#DataandTechnology

• 3.  RE: Presentation Software/Platform

Posted 07-12-2018 05:32 AM

You're right, PPT is way more universal and is generally easy to use!  Thanks for your feedback!

#DataandTechnology

• 4.  RE: Presentation Software/Platform

Posted 07-11-2018 01:01 PM

Prezis can make me dizzy.

#DataandTechnology

• 5.  RE: Presentation Software/Platform

Posted 07-12-2018 05:31 AM

Yeah, they can be a little much!  Thanks!

#DataandTechnology

• 6.  RE: Presentation Software/Platform

Posted 07-12-2018 06:41 AM

The most common one I see is still PowerPoint, both internally at my university and externally at conferences and meetings. The students will sometimes use Prezi though I see that less now, more of them are shifting to Google Slides.  I've near heard of Slidebean!  Mostly, I still see PPT.

#DataandTechnology

• 7.  RE: Presentation Software/Platform

Posted 07-12-2018 07:45 AM

Out of curiosity, why do you wonder if PowerPoint is "a bit outdated?" I find it has a lot of features and versatility, and I use it to develop flowcharts, not just presentations. I also like that it is local so I never have to worry about connectivity issues, unless I embed a video. So is there a certain feature you find PowerPoint lacks or is there something your trying in PowerPoint that just isn't working? Or do you want to try something else for the sake of trying something else?

#DataandTechnology

• 8.  RE: Presentation Software/Platform

Posted 07-12-2018 07:54 AM

It certainly does have a lot of features and versatility and I do often seeing it being used - as I mentioned, I still use it and I'm very comfortable using it.  My outdated comment is more about some of the features available on other platforms - like Prezi, for example.  Your presentations can be made available online so they're searchable (an outreach tool), they have mobile apps so I can quickly pull up a presentation if I'm away from my computer, and they offer analytics - so you know if someone opened your presentation if you send them the link.  

If you've seen a Prezi presentation you'll know that it's also pretty different from the a PPT or traditional "slides" presentation - they're a bit more dynamic.  I'm not saying it's better or worse - that was part of the reason I wanted to get feedback from others. 

#DataandTechnology

• 9.  RE: Presentation Software/Platform

Posted 07-24-2018 08:08 PM

I'm probably an outlier. =) I have a chromebook rather than a traditional laptop so I'm all about the Google Suite. I'm pretty homebound so I'm on wifi all the time and don't need all the bells and whistles of a fully powered laptop. That said, I do have to be a little creative on finding substitutes for some applications (looking at you photoshop!). I haven't heard of Prezi but will def check it out! Thanks for an interesting question!

#DataandTechnology

• 10.  RE: Presentation Software/Platform

Posted 07-26-2018 07:03 AM

I have used Prezi for years now and I find it to be such and easy and dynamic program for presentations.  I am happy to share some with you if you want to see how it works.  But honestly, I hate powerpoint because it is so "plain" and not very interesting.  And it is outdated and clunky in my opinion.   I am always looking for other platforms as well but Prezi has never done me wrong in the many many years I have used it.  

#DataandTechnology

• 11.  RE: Presentation Software/Platform

Posted 08-01-2018 10:42 AM

...and you do it really well.

#DataandTechnology

• 12.  RE: Presentation Software/Platform

Posted 12-07-2023 06:10 AM

Back in 2018 there was a discussion about presentation software - Prezi had fans - I wonder if anyone has advice about software to use and/or about video editing software that you like. 

We're starting to create shelter-specific content that we can use with bigger groups for the hands-off part of our volunteer training so we can train more volunteers. We would love to get some advice (including what NOT to do) about software,  making videos easily available.

Thanks in advance. 

------------------------------
    Eudora Watson
    Volunteer
    Potsdam Humane Society Shelter
    New York
    ------------------------------