Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Scanning for microchips in owner requested euthanasia

Posted 05-16-2019 09:13 AM

My question is a bit specific but I wanted to gauge what other organizations out there are doing. We offer owner requested euthanasia (ORE) as a service to the public and part of our procedure is that we scan the animal for a microchip prior to performing the euthanasia, and confirm that it is registered to the owner listed on the the ORE paperwork. Often this holds up the procedure, which is already emotional for the owner, while we verify this information. We have only run into one circumstance where we were actually able to contact a person who gave the dog away and was upset it was being euthanized (it was medically necessary), but the majority of the time if it is not registered to the owner listed on the ORE paperwork it is either unregistered or not updated in order to contact anyone. The private practice veterinarians I have asked have indicated that they do not do this. While our ORE paperwork does indicate that they legally attest to being the owner of the animal, microchips are also proof of legal ownership. I will also mention that we do assess ORE animals prior to euthanasia and if we think it is unwarranted  or have resources to otherwise help the animal we will and reserve the right to place the animal in our adoption program or transfer to an appropriate rescue, so we are not just euthanizing because an owner asks us to. Any input from other organizations who offer this service is appreciated. Thanks! 

#OrganizationalManagement

• 2.  RE: Scanning for microchips in owner requested euthanasia

Posted 05-17-2019 05:12 AM

We scan and trace a microchip.  However, we have an ordinance that allows us to euthanize an animal based on their current conditions without the owners consent (i.e. extreme injury or illness to prevent suffering).  We would still notify the MC'd owner but look out for the well-being of the animal first. 

#OrganizationalManagement

• 3.  RE: Scanning for microchips in owner requested euthanasia

Posted 01-03-2021 03:17 PM
      |   view attached
    This essential discussion should be referenced in new posts about microchip scanning at vet offices for all intakes. 
    It is sad (but telling) to read Amanda's observation that most private veterinarians do not have ORE dogs scanned prior to performing euthanasia. Why not? Clinic staff are not compensated for the time to scan and check a chip databaseConcern about offending an established or potentially new client?
    There have been several confirmed instances where rescues have pulled healthy dogs from large municipal shelter systems (where all dogs are microchipped upon placement) for screened fosters who requested to care for a specifically posted dog.  Then, if that dog was not a good fit or became fractious (typically due to not following rescue guidance about decompression time and slow introductions) the dog was brought to a private veterinarian for euthanasia without first contacting the rescue, violating the "Return to us if you can no longer care for..." clause of the foster contract.
    As the microchips were not checked (which would have tracked back to the rescues) healthy dogs were put down. The rescues only found out after-the-fact doing a routine progress check, often requiring some persistent detective work to expose that fosters had been concealing the true status of their foster. 
    No method of foster screening is perfect.  No shelter dog behavioral assessment is perfect. Microchip searches can yield only dead ends.
    But still, there is no ethical justification for private veterinarians not to scan microchips to prevent such tragic occurrences. In the absence of an amendment or clarification to existing Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics (see attached), advocates can work with state-level legislators to propose and enact changes to Dog Law statutes.

#microchipscanningdogs  #euthanasia  #vetoffice  #dogfoster
    ​​​

------------------------------
    Greg Smalley

• 4.  RE: Scanning for microchips in owner requested euthanasia

Posted 01-03-2021 03:26 PM
    I'd add #microchipscancats #catfoster #kittenfoster​​​

KerryLowary
    Franklin County Humane Society

• 5.  RE: Scanning for microchips in owner requested euthanasia

Posted 02-16-2021 04:26 PM
    The facility I work at scans all animals that an owner surrenders for euthanasia. Usually prior to that point, the owner has signed a form that is essentially 'owner surrender' paperwork, so the animal has legally become our property should we choose not to euthanize. If the microchip research yields the same name and contact info, we consider the chip research completed. If it does not, we will call the person registered to confirm that they are aware the animal has been brought to us for euthanasia (usually they are). Unlike with stray animals, we will not do further research on the chip if the phone number is disconnected, nor mail a letter to the address registered to the chip. If the chip goes back to a rescue, most of the time we will try to contact the rescue/shelter to see if they want the dog back (especially with a few local rescues who have a strict 'lifetime guarantee' policy). 

I work at the front desk, so when I am processing an owner request for euthanasia I usually ask the client if the animal has a chip, if it is registered to them, and let them know that whoever is registered to the chip (often this is a spouse or family member) may receive a call from us before we perform the euthanasia. I personally feel that giving them a 'heads up' about that phone call will make it easier on them emotionally if it does happen.

Alex Fitzgerald
    Chicago Animal Care and Control/Heartland Animal Shelter