Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Handling social media bashing

Posted 03-28-2018 03:26 AM

I recently found a post on Facebook from a person who questioned my group’s commitment to helping animals.  This person is part of another group in our community that helps animals, although in a different way than we do.  She was once a part of our group.  How do we combat this in a positive way? 

#PeopleManagement

• 2.  RE: Handling social media bashing

Posted 03-28-2018 06:18 AM

I have found without exeption, that it is because a group has not defined "rules boundaries and limitations" clearly or in a way people can understand.  I explain to  people that it is like going to the auto shop and expecting to buy groceries.  My observation is that this problem happens to agencies who are operations focused,  with out strong support from an admin staff or clear policies in writing and publically available. So an example is that one has a voluteer who misunderstands and miscommunication what the agencies will do (I teach about literal and figurative communications), and also when an agency changes, modifies how it does business and that isnt well commuicated.  Too many Rescues try to be all things to all people.  They also dont realized, that lack of writtten policies, can make for liaibility and is one of the risk management tools!

For instance, we recognize that there are two kinds of homeless because we did our homework.  Those who prefer the lifestyle and those who went through crisis and will do anthingto get back on their feet, with just a hand up.  WE are not here to provide bandages,  (you solve a problem for today like feeding a dog but what about tomorrow?) we work for community fixes, so we partner with other agencies, when their pets are helped, the people are helped to find their footing after thier crisis.

What I woud do, is print a policy, addressing this persons complaints and post it everywhere - THANKING that person for pointing out an area of possible misunderstanding!

#PeopleManagement