Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Peeing in inappropriate place

Posted 03-20-2019 05:12 PM

I adopted a 9 yr old Yorkie I take her out for bathroom breaks and takes her on walks and she still continue to pee in the room on the floor. Sometimes when it's time for me to take her out she won't go and runs the other way and I have to catch her and put outside just so she can go and not on my bedroom floor. I brought her some diapers for night time cause when I'm sleeping I wake up with pee spots on the floor c an anyone give me advice on how I can help my nine yr old Yorkie to stop peeing in the house. By the way her name is Mya not the dog in the pic

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 2.  RE: Peeing in inappropriate place

Posted 03-22-2019 09:08 AM

Diapers may help short term, but you might want to take her to the vet to rule out kidney or urinary tract infection.  Has she been bred a number of times?  That could make it more difficult for her to be continent too.  If the vet says she is healthy, perhaps crate her overnight as dogs don't want to dirty their sleeping spaces if possible, then take her outside first thing in the morning before her feet even touch the floor.  Give lots of praise and a treat for anything done outside, and an "uh-oh" and trip outside when she slips inside.  Stay outside with her until she does something you can reward.  Could you take her out frequently during the day and, again, give lots of praise and a treat for anything done outside?  This will take some time and persistence on your part but I hope might help you and your little girl.   

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 3.  RE: Peeing in inappropriate place

Posted 03-22-2019 11:36 PM

Thank you for responding she's been to the vet he did say she was healthy when I got her she was on antibiotics for not peeing now she pee all the time even when I take her out she will use it outside I give her 30 min play time with the other dogs and she'll come right in here and squat. I have diapers but they just slide right off her booty lol she's getting use to being here I love on her as much as I can when I come home from work her and my maltese coco got a bathe tonight I'm hoping that will also help her relax. When we go on walks she stop and pee like 20 times well maybe not that many lol but close I'll try again and do something different thank you.

#PetBehaviorandTraining