Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Thinking of getting a cat. Are strays in Colombia friendly?

Posted 08-21-2018 09:50 PM
    I currently live in Medellin and been proudly making my way in this city for about 4 years now. I’m starting to feel quite lonely recently and I finally decided that I want to adopt a pet cat. I’m not much of a dog person but I feel as though having a cat is the best choice for me and my financial stability.

I’ve read some reviews from Colombian women and foreigners alike who are living here, that the strays are pretty tame and friendly. But I want to personally hear from long time locals and foreigners who chose to settle down here as well. Any insights and personal experiences?

#CommunityCatManagement

• 2.  RE: Thinking of getting a cat. Are strays in Colombia friendly?

Posted 08-22-2018 12:17 PM

It's so cool that you've joined the forum from Colombia! My kids grew up in Bogota, and there were several friendly stray cats that they told me they'd known over the years in their birth home and in the orphanage (though they tell me that after the orphanage adopted a couple of really sweet stray dogs, the cats stayed away!).   I think they're probably similarly friendly to strays in other countries-- some are friendly and some prefer to be left alone. You might ask around to friends and neighbors-- they may know of or be feeding a friendly cat or two that lives nearby. 

#CommunityCatManagement

• 3.  RE: Thinking of getting a cat. Are strays in Colombia friendly?

Posted 08-22-2018 11:17 PM

Thanks for sharing, it's really encouraged me to try my luck with the stray cats here in Medellin  I think I'll take your advice and try asking around with my neighbors here. 

#CommunityCatManagement

• 4.  RE: Thinking of getting a cat. Are strays in Colombia friendly?

Posted 08-22-2018 02:18 PM

I have had great success adopting feral cats (albeit in the US) over the years.  As Kelly says, some will take to you and some will not, so my advice would be to start befriending (feeding) them and see which ones will be approachable enough to bring home.  

Another recommendation is that once you take in the cat, it should stay indoor.  Some cats will complain at first but all the ones i have taken in (>25 over the years) got used to it and ended up being happy as indoor cats.

#CommunityCatManagement

• 5.  RE: Thinking of getting a cat. Are strays in Colombia friendly?

Posted 08-22-2018 11:14 PM

Food certainly seems like the best way to get to a cat's heart lol but it's a good start to see which ones are friendly enough to take home. I'm going to begin feeding the cats behind my apartment building. Wish me luck! 

#CommunityCatManagement

• 6.  RE: Thinking of getting a cat. Are strays in Colombia friendly?

Posted 08-23-2018 12:52 PM

Excellent.  Just do not make the mistake i made and fall for every kitten.  I ended up with 17 in my house at one time.

#CommunityCatManagement