Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Rehoming a Dog with a Bite Record

Posted 01-30-2018 02:32 PM
      |   view attached

Hi,

Asking for a friend. Any advice for a family that needs to rehome a beloved dog that had a bite incident with their younger daughter? The family is not comfortable keeping her, but really wants to put her in a home that can giver her the love and attention she deserves. I am only aware of rehome.adoptapet.com

Thanks,

Jessica

#AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms

Attachment(s)

docx
    Behavior Bio_Bailey.docx   18 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Rehoming a Dog with a Bite Record

Posted 01-30-2018 02:43 PM

Can you give more information?  Was the dog aggressive with the child?  What level of bite was it on the bite scale?  Are the owners over-reacting and just need a little education? (puppy needs chewy toy, no playing with the mouth).  Many dogs like to put hands in their mouth but that doesn't mean they're biters---not that it should be encouraged.  It's hard to answer or give advise without more information.

• 3.  RE: Rehoming a Dog with a Bite Record

Posted 02-01-2018 11:56 AM

Hi Diana,

I just attached the detailed bio-situation to the original post. Thank you for your help.

• 4.  RE: Rehoming a Dog with a Bite Record

Posted 01-30-2018 03:08 PM

Hi Jessica!

Can you provide us with any more info about the bite? I recommend they take the dog to see a veterinary behaviorist (dacvb.org). The veterinary behaviorist can provide them with an honest assessment and recommendation. Looking at the motivation for the bite and the dog's history, will allow a behaviorist to provide a prognosis.  I don't recommend rehoming their dog without talking to someone, as they could potentially be passing on a problem to someone else...

Sheila

• 5.  RE: Rehoming a Dog with a Bite Record

Posted 02-01-2018 11:56 AM

Hi Sheila,

I attached the detailed write up to the original post that he sent over to give more context. Thank you for your help.

• 6.  RE: Rehoming a Dog with a Bite Record

Posted 02-01-2018 01:19 PM

Hi Jessica,  

It sounds like they love Bailey a lot. I strongly recommend they take her to see a veterinary behaviorist. I'm not sure where they are in CA but if they're considering rehoming a family member, they should meet with an expert first- there are a number of us here in CA. And until they get that appointment, i hope they are keeping Bailey away from their children, while at the same time making sure they provide her with exercise and interaction.

• 7.  RE: Rehoming a Dog with a Bite Record

Posted 02-01-2018 03:21 PM

Thank you, Sheila!