Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Food at PetSmart Locations

Posted 01-24-2020 10:56 AM

We have a conflict of interest that we are trying to work out.  We are moving into a new PetSmart location, and they would like for us to only feed their proprietary brands of food.  However, we are part of the Hills Science Diet feeding program.  Is anyone else in the same situation, and how do you handle that?  We need to feed Science Diet at our shelter, but when cats go up to PetSmart, sound like we will need to switch food, which could lead to upset stomachs.  Plus we give out the small Adopter bags with every adoption, and PetSmart seems like they don't want us to do that.  Not sure how to make everyone happy and honor our commitments to Hills.  Thanks!

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 2.  RE: Food at PetSmart Locations

Posted 01-24-2020 12:08 PM

Could you explain that to them and ask if they want you to use their brand then that they would need to provide you with samples due to continuous/ongoing care issues?  Also, with the adopter bags, can you explain that it is a free with adoption package with has many samples and again, that if they want their food in the adopter bags, that they will have to provide samples for the adopter bags?

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: Food at PetSmart Locations

Posted 01-25-2020 08:08 AM

Since you already have a commitment to Science Diet is there another product (flea protection maybe? or another product that is used in an ongoing basis that would bring their customers back again soon & frequently?) that PetSmart could promote?  I don't think they would want to cause upset tummies for the animals in your care.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 4.  RE: Food at PetSmart Locations

Posted 01-25-2020 09:03 AM

I just thought of something else.

Not knowing what PetSmart is expecting this may not be something they want but here goes.

What if on the days you are there with the adoptable pets you also had a big box, with a list of things that are needed in your shelter, that are sold in PetSmart.  You can attach the list to the box (in big writing), and have a few extras for people to take in the store.  Or they can take a picture of the list with their phone.  This could also help your organization if you are getting low on certain items,  you could stress this on your list.

While they are shopping they can pick up an item(s) to go in your organizations donation box.

I don't know if PetSmart would see this as big enough benefit to swap off with the food, but maybe?  It would help your organization, right?

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 5.  RE: Food at PetSmart Locations

Posted 01-27-2020 09:53 AM

I like the idea of our wish list being used to help increase sales in their store to offset any perceived loss regarding the food.  Great idea!

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 6.  RE: Food at PetSmart Locations

Posted 01-27-2020 09:00 PM

If they go this and you have literature about your organization (even printouts with your website, social media accounts, success stories, etc.) you could hand this out too.  You probably already do this but just in case I figured I'd mention it.  You never know what someone might want to do later, after they've had time to think about the great things your organization does.

You could also let your supporters know about this ahead of time in case they want to stop by, look at the adoptable pets, and pick up an item(s) on your wish list.

And if you have any friends at your local radio station and newspaper maybe they would give your organization a shout out for their listeners/readers to come by on the days you are there (or any other events you do.)

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 7.  RE: Food at PetSmart Locations

Posted 01-25-2020 09:09 AM

Or what if in addition to the box on the days you are there that they left a big box (or a prettier way if someone is creative) and put it near the cash registers.  This way they could collect items for your organization all month long, helping them and you.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 8.  RE: Food at PetSmart Locations

Posted 01-28-2020 10:02 AM

Our Rescue had the same issue. The management agreed to let us supply the Hill's food so our animals did not suffer digestive issues.

#PetHealthandNutrition