Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Policy of not allowing owners to reclaim pet

Posted 06-24-2018 09:45 AM

Shelter policy: If you come to the shelter for assistance for medical help for your dog b/c you can't afford it (or need guidance) they will medically help your dog only if you surrender the dog to them.  Not knowing what else to do dog is surrendered.  Despondent they want dog back and shelter refuses. Without going into detail dog is euthanized.

My question: While I understand a shelter cannot be used as a vehicle to get free or discounted vetting b/c the vets simply would not work with the shelter when owners can circumvent the vets themselves hence the policy, has anyone come across alternatives to such strict/stringent policies??

#AdmissionsandIntake

• 2.  RE: Policy of not allowing owners to reclaim pet

Posted 06-24-2018 12:21 PM

We have one local animal hospital that we are partnered with that has an angel fund for situations like this and redirect families there. You could also consider getting a donor to sponsor this fund so again, you are supporting the community, keeping animals in homes and keeping animals out of your shelter so you can focus on those that don't have this fund as an option.

#AdmissionsandIntake

• 3.  RE: Policy of not allowing owners to reclaim pet

Posted 06-25-2018 03:00 PM

Thank you for that information.

#AdmissionsandIntake

• 4.  RE: Policy of not allowing owners to reclaim pet

Posted 06-24-2018 03:18 PM

Do you know of an Angel Fund in Lancaster C

#AdmissionsandIntake

• 5.  RE: Policy of not allowing owners to reclaim pet

Posted 06-25-2018 11:48 AM

Hello and thank you for responding. No, I do not know but I will make some calls. I really hope to find help soon. 

#AdmissionsandIntake

• 6.  RE: Policy of not allowing owners to reclaim pet

Posted 06-25-2018 10:15 PM

Maybe it would be possible to offer a euthanasia with the owners present, if the condition is beyond medical care and recovery. This might help with closure with the family, and the pup would be surrounded with their family. 

Such a hard situation for everyone, someone will be be left heartbroken. 

#AdmissionsandIntake