Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  How many posts per day on social media?

Posted 05-17-2018 04:09 AM

I'd be interested to know how many posts per day your organization puts out on social media.  We have 15,000 FB followers and don't want them to "unfollow" us because of too many posts.  However, with the new FB algorythms, we are not reaching people like we used to.  We typically post a daily featured dog or cat, a promo for something that benefits us, one event promo, and one article of interest in the evening.  I've heard some post adoptable animals every hour. 

/https://www.facebook.com/MostlyMuttsGA/

#socialmediapostings
    #MarketingandSocialMedia

• 2.  RE: How many posts per day on social media?

Posted 05-21-2018 12:57 PM

Hi there,

I can't speak for other shelter or rescue organizations, but at Maddie's Fund we stick to about two per day; one in the am and one in the pm. You can check your facebook insights on times when the majority of your followers are online. The reason we only do two (and spaced out) is because we want each one to have time to gain the maximum amount of reach and engagement (comments, likes, shares) before posting out another that will essentially compete and/or sabotage it. Facebook's algorithm has changed to favor friends over businesses in news feeds, and more businesses than ever are competing for a spot. Unless your reach and shares are really high for all of your posts, I might suggest backing down to test two-three posts a day, spaced out, and see how that goes. 

#MarketingandSocialMedia

• 3.  RE: How many posts per day on social media?

Posted 05-22-2018 10:15 AM

Hi there! While I can’t speak to FB, here is a helpful podcast where at minute 23:00 she talks about scheduling posts. http://www.thisispawprint.com/116-what-would-allie-mcadam-do-instagram-strategist-helps-animal-rescue/ I hope you find this useful.

#MarketingandSocialMedia

• 4.  RE: How many posts per day on social media?

Posted 05-22-2018 11:11 AM

We have just over 12,000 followers and we do 3 posts per day during the peak times our followers are online.  That seems to be fine as we have a steady growth in followers.

#MarketingandSocialMedia

• 5.  RE: How many posts per day on social media?

Posted 05-22-2018 12:05 PM

Hi there! At HeARTs Speak, we typically recommend no more than 2-3 posts per day and no less than 1 on Facebook. Algorithm changes in recent months tend to mean that people may not be seeing some of your posts right away, but may see them a day or two later at times ---the more posts you are putting out per day, the more you tend to be competing with yourself and your own message. So for those organizations posting once per hour, they could see more engagement from one post that features all those animals in an album vs. posting that often, if that makes sense! And for other platforms, different rules will apply. For instance, Instagram and Twitter are much more forgiving of frequent posts in terms of the way people use those platforms, how their algorithms work, and what users are habituated to seeing/interacting with. 

Here's a great article that breaks down some big data pools on times of day and week that are most popular on different platforms ---none of these are hard and fast rules, but super interesting. And when in doubt, look at your own data/analytics on Facebook to see what your particular audience seems to respond to in terms of time of day, and kinds of posts. https://sproutsocial.com/insights/best-times-to-post-on-social-media/

I hope this helps! 

#MarketingandSocialMedia

• 6.  RE: How many posts per day on social media?

Posted 11-03-2023 04:14 AM

We are a small sanctuary and have less than 4000 followers. We try to do 2 posts a day, one in the am and one in the pm both on instagram and FB. We use the "active times" button to decide the time of day we post. I think content is important too. We've had followers tell us they like our educational posts as well as our cute picture posts.  With that said I would love to know what worked for your organization to get so many followers. 

------------------------------
    Lisa Burn
    Co-founder/VP
    Farmhouse Animal & Nature Sanctuary
    Myakka City, FL
    https://farmhousesanctuary.org
    ------------------------------