Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Adoption Programs

Posted 05-06-2019 09:26 AM

So I have been put in charge of making an adoption program for veterans. I I have never done anything like this before. I have taken what I learned about matchmakers and have incorporated it into a big portion of the program. Basically they fill out a survery. I find them a hand full of animals to chose, then have follow Services for them. If they go through me for the program, the adoption is waived.

I really want this to take off and hopefully help me get further in my career along with helping make better adoption matches. Is there any tips yall could give me? My ED has given me a foundation for it and I'm building it from there I have my first meeting with our county's veteran services and I'm nervous. Any suggestions or tips would be great! Ps I am an animal caretaker doing this along side my caretaking duties as well.

#AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms

• 2.  RE: Adoption Programs

Posted 05-06-2019 02:47 PM

The Humane Society of the US (HSUS) has started a program to match rescue dogs with veterans. It’s called Operation Hero. Right now the program is only operating in DC and Virginia, but there are plans to expand. Might be a good source for advice. Sounds like too much to do for one or two people. 

• 3.  RE: Adoption Programs

Posted 05-07-2019 01:05 PM

This might be outside the scope of your project but have you considered partnering with Dogs on Deployment, too? They focus more on (long-term) fostering but sometimes the current owner wants to go ahead and rehome...would be veterans helping veterans and usually their placement needs are urgent.

• 4.  RE: Adoption Programs

Posted 08-05-2019 07:25 AM

Pets for Vets is another program that pairs veterans with rescue pets, and might be worth checking out for ideas!