Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Introducing Kittens To Litter. What kind?

Posted 09-22-2019 01:32 PM

I have a foster kitten, he’s about 3 weeks old. I’m going to be introducing him to a litter box soon. For the first time ever, last litter of kittens I had, I was given a big bag of yesterdays news litter. I only used it a handful of times and then switched to my clumping litter that I use for my own cats. I absolutely hate yesterday’s news. Because it doesn’t clump, there’s space in between the pellets and they step on their poop. We had to clean them every time they got out. Because they like eating the litter, I can’t get clumping and as you can tell, I won’t get paper litter. So, any suggestions?

#AnimalBehavior,TrainingandEnrichment

• 2.  RE: Introducing Kittens To Litter. What kind?

Posted 09-22-2019 02:51 PM

Try pine scented pellets. Petsmart has their own brand, and it’s much less expensive than others.

• 3.  RE: Introducing Kittens To Litter. What kind?

Posted 09-22-2019 05:10 PM

Pellets? As in the same kind like yesterday’s news? That’s what I don’t want is the pellets. 

• 4.  RE: Introducing Kittens To Litter. What kind?

Posted 09-23-2019 10:42 AM

I like to use unscented World's Best. It is soft, and even if a kitten ingests some, it is not a problem because it is corn and does not form the dangerous clumps you have with clay litter. I have also used chicken food, which is very similar to World's Best. Really, no kidding. 

• 5.  RE: Introducing Kittens To Litter. What kind?

Posted 09-23-2019 10:46 AM

If you decide to go the chicken feed route, it's something called layer crumbles, non-medicated. I tested it against World's Best a while ago, and the chicken feed was not quite as good as WB, I didn't feel that it was worth the hassle. But it worked very nicely for kittens.