Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Feeding a large breed 11 month old puppy

Posted 02-14-2020 12:12 PM

I trying to get some unbiased insights to help me determine if we are feeding our puppy optimally.   A lot has changed since my last dog passed in 1996 and we want to do right by our new pup, simba, a 65+ pound, 11 month old lab mix who is in almost constant motion when at the dog run/playgroup. When he's at home he is usually content to chew on a bone or sweet potato jerky or some other jerky type treat in his kong bone.     Lately, he's been whining a lot at night and seems to be very needy.  I just don't always know what he needs.  When he's hanging out by the door or nipping at our jackets, I interpret that to mean "take me out".  But then when we get out, there is usually no urgency to urinate or defecate.  So any insights into why he might be whining, or any ideas to figure it out would also be greatly appreciated.   We tried 2 different Merrick dry foods. The 1st one resulted in lots of foul farts and loose stools. The 2nd one just resulted in loose stools. We were also adding cooked meat and rice to get him to eat and tighten up his stools. At first he barely ate anything and the meat stimulated his appetite but his stools would bounce back and forth between very loose and sometimes less loose   Then we switched him to blue buffalo puppy. His stools improved immediately but I learned that since he was a large breed, he needed to be on the large breed puppy food. So we switched him.   Each change of food was done gradually to avoid stomach upset.   I’ve been talking and researching and the only things I learned that the various options and opinions are very contradictory & raw is not for us.   I recently stopped giving him cooked meat w his food for a variety of reason:

• I’m concerned about him getting too much protein and thus putting too much strain on his kidneys & perhaps making him grow too fast.  Although he was almost full grown when we got him at 5.5 months.  He's grown since then which is to be expected, but he was already over 50 lbs when we adopted him so I don't think growing too fast is a factor.
    • He was certainly getting spoiled and refused to eat unless the meat was there.  In fact, he was not happy if we didnt vary the type of meat too.
    • He was eating his entire 4 cup allotment of food and I was wondering if the meat made him eat more than he really needed and he could eat less.  I am very aware of his shape and weight.  And do not want him to get overweight.
    • He will be boarded with the folks who run his playgroup when we go on vacation next week.  He just had his 1st single overnight last night to help him adjust and not feel too abandoned.  I figured it would make his overnight stays less problematic if he is just eating his dry food with nothing added.

Finally, we love our pup and want his short life to be healthy for as long as possible.  I know that the food he eats now is critical to his health in the future.     I am completely baffled by all the choices, but eliminated raw foods b/c I have 2 young children at home who don't wash their hands well or frequently.  That leaves dry, cooked and wet (in a variety of packages), freeze dried, and combinations of those.  And I wouldn't be surprised if there are additional options I haven't mentioned.   that all being said, sorry for the looong exposition but does anyone have any advice pregarding Simba's food choice & feeding patterns?

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 2.  RE: Feeding a large breed 11 month old puppy

Posted 02-14-2020 01:23 PM

Merrick was bought out by Purina and has since tanked in quality. I fed it religiously for two years. And the last bag I purchased my dogs wouldn't touch it. Nulo is a very good quality food and I occasionally mix some in with my dogs food if they get bored. (I would generally recommend Tiki Dog, but it's specifically made for small breeds). 

I would also not feed Blue Buffalo as similar circumstances have occurred with that brand (hence why you can find it in Walmart now). The founds of Merrick now produce a food called Supreme Source (the bag actually looks similar to Merricks). If you can find it I would also recommend that. I've had luck, oddly enough, finding it at Food Lion (a grocery store).

#PetHealthandNutrition