Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Cushings Disease

Posted 06-28-2020 07:22 PM

Is anybody familiar with Cushings Disease?  I have been to three vets, they have all said different things. The vet that first mentioned it, said he could tell by the blood test results and "other symptoms her body has"  He suggested a low dose dexamethasone test.  

Since that exam I have been learning about it and my dog does seem to have some of the symptoms, panting, muscle loss. She does not have any of the symptoms people often notice first, increased thirst and urination, she actually has decreased thirst.  Her coat is great, second vet said not Cushings because no hair loss.  

Then I am told hair loss not necessary.  I cant seem to get a consistent answer.  I was told if she is not drinking more and urinating more, that type can't be treated.  I hate to put her thru the stress of the 8 hour test just because a vet wanted to make some money on diagnostics.  

Has anybody experienced Cushings, in dogs?  Maybe a good link to good information.  Any help or assistance will be so very much appreciated.  

I can post her blood results and symptoms, but was not sure if that was allowed.  Thanks.

#PetHealthandNutrition
    #symptomsdiagnosistreat

• 2.  RE: Cushings Disease

Posted 09-30-2020 05:46 AM
    Cushing's disease is basically the result of increased production of a hormone called cortisol which causes dogs to have an increased appetite - drink a lot and eat everything in sight. There is a drug called Vetoryl (trilostane), approved by the FDA, a drug approved to treat both types of Cushing's diseases - pituitary- and adrenal-dependent Cushing's in dogs. However, there are some precautions you need to take beforehand and it's better to give it to your dog only under the guidance of a vet. You can try connecting with a vet online for a consultation on platforms like - greatvet, veterinarians, etc. For more details on Cushing's disease, symptoms, and treatment check out this blog.

------------------------------
    Liam Harket
    ------------------------------