Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Shelter Buddy, Petpoint, and ShelterLuv Users -- How do you handle managed intake?

• 1.  Shelter Buddy, Petpoint, and ShelterLuv Users -- How do you handle managed intake?

Posted 06-12-2018 08:57 AM

I'm working with a shelter that uses Shelter Buddy and would like to start a managed intake program.

Here is the specific challenge:

For some of the potential owner surrenders, the shelter is planning provide the pet with a "pre-surrender vaccination." Owners will bring the pet to the shelter to get vaccinated and then return home for 7-10 days, awaiting their surrender appointment (yes, the ultimate goal is to have them find an alternative to surrendering and this pre-surrender vaccine buys the shelters some time to counsel the owner).

The question: How are you handling this from the standpoint of creating a computer record for the animal? Do you use a "service in" intake type or something similar?

Thanks in advance for your help!

#DataandTechnology
    #intakeprevention
    #sheltersoftware

• 2.  RE: Shelter Buddy, Petpoint, and ShelterLuv Users -- How do you handle managed intake?

Posted 06-13-2018 02:00 PM

Great question! Following.

#DataandTechnology

• 3.  RE: Shelter Buddy, Petpoint, and ShelterLuv Users -- How do you handle managed intake?

Posted 06-13-2018 05:04 PM

Boone County has just begun to iron out the details of how to document these types of interactions. We use Shelter Buddy and we enter the animals in under "Identification Type & Services" (as long as we have never had the animal in the system before). The Status is "Information" and the Sub-Status is "Surrender Initiated" or "Surrender Scheduled". You can customize the sub-status to suit you. Then under Identification Type/Event, we use "Managed Intake", this is a field that can be used to filter reports! This allows us to track all of our interactions with the owners and animals the same as we would for animals that are in our care.

I hope this helps. It sounds like a lot of steps, but I have found it to be quite easy once you enter a few.

#DataandTechnology