Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  OSHA Safety and the risk/liability to our organization

Posted 01-21-2018 07:24 AM

Hi Everyone,

we are having such and important discussion over in behavoior about OSHA Safety, the law risk management,and liaibility that I thought it would be important enough to move to its own question, rather then just being in one category.

I want to restate that while I am not a lawyer, my role was to explain the law to College students and businesses as a region 9 federal OSHA trainer for 17 years before my  second stroke took me out of the work place. 

If you belong to a 501c3 or other form of business except a sole proprienter or partnership, you are subject for Federal OSHA law that no state can do less than.   Some states have their state OSHA laws that go belond federal OSHA, like California, that is so strident, for instance, they tell you what to have in your first aid kid where the feds tell you nationally to assess your risk and fit your kit to the hazard.  A love Arizona OSHA who has said" well if its good enough for the feds, its good enough for us" so six months after a federal law is passed, Arizona adopts it without revision. (Takes of the federal cover and puts on Arizona's. (vbg)

Maybe Best Friends coulld get behind sponsoring a national standard in 2019, that would help protect  the pet related industry. especially the non-profits that rely so heavily on volunteers that are also considered "employees" according to 1910.2 - (and if you dont know what 1910.2 is, your agency has put you at risk from OSHA's point of view).

I will be glad to lead a discussion about OSHA here, starting next weekend (We have the Veterans Stand Down in Phonix next week that will take all my time and attention as we serve over 2000 veterans and their pets/service dogs).  If you want to learn more especially about OSHA and your state,  Just put your name here, your state, and argest concern about liability, risik mamagent  and the laws over the next few days.   If you want, I can even set up some webinars to SHOW you how to become familiar with OSHA's outstanding website.

So how much do YOU know about your state's OSHA laws for safety?

#HumaneLawEnforcementandLaws
    #osha
    #safety
    #riskmanagement
    #volunteers

• 2.  RE: OSHA Safety and the risk/liability to our organization

Posted 01-23-2018 04:15 PM

Kristi Brooks, Oregon, I know a little. Deb is our go to person here, so maybe she should be the one doing this.

• 3.  RE: OSHA Safety and the risk/liability to our organization

Posted 01-29-2018 09:09 AM

Hi, it seems that there is no interest in this topic, too bad. We could have a national impact on safety while saving lives.   
    If anyone wants to email me to find out what we are doing in Arizona, please write to ceo@emptybowlpetfoodpantry.org