Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Need to Assess Impact

Posted 07-26-2018 11:09 PM
      |   view attached

Trying to come up with a good question (or two) that can be added to our applications for spay/neuter assistance (we fund free spay/neuter for the pets of low income people in our county) that will help to demonstrate that what we do is having an impact. I can't really ask people if they would spay/neuter their pets w/o our help, as that would imply they don't need help/are financially able to afford the procedure, etc. Can anyone help? I am attaching our current spay/neuter assistance application. TIA!

#Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: Need to Assess Impact

Posted 07-26-2018 11:26 PM

I would ask applicants to describe or check off the barriers they face to s/n: cost, transportation, language, appt times, etc. I’ve had more success with multiple choice options and an “other, please describe” choice than leaving room for a narrative. 

• 3.  RE: Need to Assess Impact

Posted 08-01-2018 12:31 PM

Thanks, Sara-PetsConnectKat for your ideas!

• 4.  RE: Need to Assess Impact

Posted 07-27-2018 06:54 AM

Assuming you're redoing the application, just a quick typo note: in the "Qualification" section, you have an unneeded apostrophe in the word "Steps".

Can you do a follow-up questionnaire to assess impact?  I agree with Sara about the multiple choice, but I also think that having a comments section might be helpful if you have any experience in analyzing qualitative responses.  Basically, you read through comments and identify common themes.  Obviously subjectivity is a bit of a factor in that, versus less subjectivity in analyzing a quantitative survey, but sometimes getting quotes can be a powerful addition to a grant application or report.

I just wonder that with your current layout, is there any room for a few more questions.  Of course, in a follow-up you face the problem of people not replying.  If you put it on the application as required, then they have no choice.

The more I think about it...the more I like Sara's idea.

You could phrase it very simply.  I'm sure you hear from the people you assist which are the most common reasons--cost is obviously the big factor, but it is not the only one.  Work schedules, language barriers, transportation issues, are, I think the big ones.  And definitely include an option for "Other" with a SMALL write-in space. 

"Please indicate which (mark all that apply) barriers your household faces in getting its pets spayed or neutered"