Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Natural Remedies

Posted 05-07-2019 04:10 PM

Grace is a 6-month-old Lab/Sharpei mix who loves everyone, especially children. Her foster says she is more “sensitive” than other dogs she’s fostered. For one thing, she hates riding in the car, salivates the whole time, and is not happy when her foster dad comes to pick her up after adoptions cause she knows it will mean getting into the car. Also, she refuses to go out the door of the pet store where we have our adoptions. Don’t know of it’s the car thing or she’s afraid of the sliding door. Last weekend, she spent most of the afternoon hiding under a table.

I have spent a lot of time with Grace and have gotten to know and love her. She comes to me for reassurance and I hate to see her suffer. Can anyone suggest something natural we can use to help our puppy?

#PetBehaviorandTraining
    #carsick

• 2.  RE: Natural Remedies

Posted 05-09-2019 10:38 AM

Of course, it's hard to know without seeing situation first hand but have you tried reconditioning her about the car? Sounds like she interprets it as always a bad thing? Maybe try just sitting with her in the car and not going anywhere....just random intervals of 5-15 minutes, engine off, with her toys or treats, then do same thing and turn engine on but don't move, then gradually increase to driving around the block and so on. Maybe take her somewhere fun (drive- thrus) and let her overcome the fear in her own time. I have one that was terribly upset in the car -- I think she may have been dumped -- but now we go to walking trails and other fun places so she's much better -- stands on the front seat like a good little navigator. :-)

The sliding door is trickier but same idea...gradually increase what you are asking of her and stop when her comfort level is clearly exceeded.

Also, and I notice this in myself more than I like to admit, make sure she isn't sensing your anxiety and reacting to it. It could be that your stress level increases just before the car or the door and she senses that and reacts accordingly. I use a harness instead of a collar for that reason -- I know I am more confident with control around the body and I want the dog to feel that confidence at the other end of the leash.

I am not a dog trainer and my remarks are based purely on my own experience but wish you the best of luck with her and glad she has you to help her. <3

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 3.  RE: Natural Remedies

Posted 05-09-2019 04:05 PM

Thank you! Everything you say about helping Grace overcome her anxieties makes perfect sense. I will pass on your advice to her foster parents. I jist hope they have the time and inclination to implement these strategies.

#PetBehaviorandTraining