Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Community Save Rate

Posted 03-01-2018 09:07 AM

Any suggestions on how to calculate community save rate?  I only know the rate of my own group.  

Thank You!

#OrganizationalManagement

• 2.  RE: Community Save Rate

Posted 03-01-2018 09:30 AM

Save Rate = (Total Live Intakes - Non-live Outcomes) / (Total Live Intakes - Actual owner requested euthanasia)

So you will need the data for all the open admission shelters in your community.  If they don't publicly post theirs, you can request their data. In my community, I request the raw data because they report cats that die at the shelter as "Returned to Owner" and is reported as a live release to the public.  So unless you absolutely trust their self reported data, I would suggest looking at the raw data and making necessary adjustments. 

How many open admission shelters serve your community? Do you have access to their data?

• 3.  RE: Community Save Rate

Posted 03-01-2018 01:07 PM
      |   view attached

Another way to calculate and one that is very supportable in the public is:  Total Live Outcomes/Total Outcomes.  (Some people subtract owner requested from the bottom number - we do not in my community)

We do this monthly and post in on the web. We are the public shelter in our community and we actually have a harder time here getting other groups to give us their numbers so we can do an annual community-wide number. All of the brick-and-mortar shelters in our area participate but not the small rescues.

I've attached an example of the detailed monthly report we publish to the website

Attachment(s)