Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Won't eat soft food with antibiotic

Posted 01-29-2020 09:16 AM

When I brought Moses home on Saturday, I was sent home with an antibiotic for his cat cold. Well he has refused to eat the food that it is crushed up in. And I would really hate for him to fall sick again, what should I do?

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 2.  RE: Won't eat soft food with antibiotic

Posted 01-29-2020 11:40 AM

I mix cat gravy, jar of Turkey or chicken baby food with wet food and mix the meds real well and my cats would eat it.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: Won't eat soft food with antibiotic

Posted 01-29-2020 07:51 PM

Many/most meds can come in liquid form,  ask rescue or vet.  Cats still don't like it but prescribed amount in syringe can be squirted, usually in side of mouth works best but ask for instructions and ask to be shown giving cat first dose.  continue feeding cat high quality, highly appealing food.  Cats with upper respiratory congestion lose their sense of smell which motivates them to eat. 

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 4.  RE: Won't eat soft food with antibiotic

Posted 01-30-2020 09:35 AM

Thank you for all the advice I think I found a way to actually get him to take his medicine.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 5.  RE: Won't eat soft food with antibiotic

Posted 02-03-2020 12:29 PM

It can be sometimes more expensive, but some medications come in a topical cream and applied to the inside of the ear.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 6.  RE: Won't eat soft food with antibiotic

Posted 01-29-2020 07:59 PM

A word of encouragement,  pets frequently fare much better when home and out of shelter environment,  shelters do their best, but being in enclosed space with many other cats (or dogs) is just not as healthy as home with better air quality and more freedom to move around.   Good luck.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 7.  RE: Won't eat soft food with antibiotic

Posted 01-30-2020 11:25 AM

Pill pushers work really well if the table is not too large.  Then I will usually follow up with a treat like delectable squeeze ups.  

#PetHealthandNutrition