Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Seeking Successful Case Studies of Appeals for Emergency Vet Care

• 1.  Seeking Successful Case Studies of Appeals for Emergency Vet Care

Posted 02-27-2020 12:20 PM

I am working on a presentation on how to better handle the cost of emergency veterinary services for individual animals.  Does anyone have some really good examples of how to handle this situation so it doesn't seem so overwhelming to organizations.  

#FundraisingandDevelopment

• 2.  RE: Seeking Successful Case Studies of Appeals for Emergency Vet Care

Posted 06-11-2020 02:00 PM

Hi Stacy,

In my experience, handling the cost of emergency vet care for individual animals is not as hard as it sounds.  Supporters want to help, so most of the time, you simply need to ask.  We recently sent out an email appeal for emergency vet care for a dog who needed surgery, and it raised nearly $5,000 from 66 people.  I would be happy to forward the email to you.  

The template I used for the email was from this short video:  https://worklessraisemore.com/coronavirus-e-appeal/

It was incredibly easy, and the other email I sent out using the template raised over $10,000.  That's a lot for us!

We use Mailchimp for our emails.  We've upgraded to a paid subscription now, but used the free one for a long time and it worked great!   

Some basic fundraising principles are that people like stories, they like stories that focus one one animal or person, and they want to help.   "You can help Nova get the lifesaving surgery she needs by donating $10 today."  When you tell the story, focus it on how the donor can help, and use a lot of "you" centric language.  Make sure there is a picture of the animal.  

Most importantly, don't forget to thank people, and keep them updated!  Before and after pictures are amazing.  People who donate, then see how their donation made a difference will likely donate again next time you need help with an emergency.  

There are some grants available for emergency vet care, but I have not used them.  It is much easier to ask your supporters via email, Facebook, a press release, or even the phone!  

I hope this was helpful.

#FundraisingandDevelopment