Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Felv+ Adoption Program Blog Series

Posted 02-25-2019 09:46 AM

I am doing a blog series on organizations that adopt out Felv+ kitties.  There are some wonderful programs happening all across the country.  This profiles the Humane Society of Naples.

https://www.communitycatspodcast.com/felv-positive-adoption-program-profile-series-humane-society-naples/

What are your obstacles to having a program if you don't have one currently?
    #felv+
    #cats
    #AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms
    #innovativeadoptions

• 2.  RE: Felv+ Adoption Program Blog Series

Posted 03-05-2019 06:16 PM

We implemented our FeLV adoption program last year. Our obstacles were:

• The amount of time needed to put together the program (protocols, materials, trainings, etc.)
    • Staff and volunteer concerns about FeLV (fears that it is more contagious than it is, that we would have more difficulty housing the cats, etc.)
    • Small pool of adopters

We celebrated our first FeLV adoption last month and we have someone seriously considering at our other current FeLV kitty, who is also a senior who needs a very quiet home, now. We're thrilled to have our program in place and hope it will grow steadily over time! 

• 3.  RE: Felv+ Adoption Program Blog Series

Posted 03-11-2019 09:49 AM

Hi Karen,

My foster based rescue (at the moment) has FeLV+ and FIV+ cats up for adoption. It's slow going and generally, those cats seem to stay in their foster homes for an extended period of time. Eventually, we are opening an onsite adoption center, so I would be very interested in your program. Would you be able to provide me with any docs you think we would find info?

Thank you in advance!

Best, Howard

• 4.  RE: Felv+ Adoption Program Blog Series

Posted 03-12-2019 01:04 PM

Hi Howard, 

Our FIV+ cats do great and tend to get adopted quickly provided they don't have other significant health or behavior issues. It's been great to see our community get less fearful of FIV over the years. I hope you'll see that in your area as well! 

I've attached the one-page overviews for both FIV and FeLV we provide for prospective adopters as well as the checklists our adoption counselors use when doing these adoptions (our adoption counselors also get extra training before doing these adoptions). Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can share! 

Karen 

• 5.  RE: Felv+ Adoption Program Blog Series

Posted 03-19-2019 04:04 PM

Yes, I hope attitudes will change in regards to fiv and felv. Thank you SO MUCH for the documents!