Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Distemper Best Practices

Posted 12-18-2017 05:53 PM

Hey Shelter Medicine friends,

I adopted a gsd mix from a Fresno rescue on Nov 22. She had been in a really good foster home, in quarantine, for two weeks and i've now had her for three weeks. She's had a very mild cough since i got her... e.g., one cough every other day. But the cough was moist and deep. She's had conjunctivitis and epiphora for a week and a half.

She got really sick on 12/16 - and was diagnosed with pneumonia. Distemper PCR came back today and its positive.

I haven't dealt with distemper in the past ten years, so...

Is there anything that you've found really helpful in terms of treatment?

#vaccine
    #Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization
    #distemper
    #pcr
    #puppy
    #treatment

• 2.  RE: Distemper Best Practices

Posted 12-30-2017 06:22 PM

I'm so sorry Sheila :-(. Although I'm no shelter medicine expert, I've seen a handful of cases with distemper. It seemed that when we were able to find a safe and responsible way to get the affected dog some time outside (as our vet said-some time with "Dr. Green") we had better success. Good luck-thinking about you and your puppy! 

• 3.  RE: Distemper Best Practices

Posted 01-10-2018 12:15 PM

Thanks @emilydpfl and happy new year!   My pups distemper diagnosis turned out being questionable (two negative results after that first positive) and she is doing really well. Thanks for the good thoughts!!