Message Image  

Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

• 1.  Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

Posted 08-20-2018 10:33 AM

I'm looking to build a progressive series around compassion fatigue and resiliency. We have had several different course over the year, including CF, trauma-informed practices and mental health awareness. We'd like to institutionalize a progressive series though where we build a new course each year with a fresh spin somehow. Right now, we send new staff to TIP training initially but don't have a regular series or schedule after that. Anyone have a series vs. just a one-off class that they really like? Or key apsects or approach to your trainings you feel really resonate? Thx in advance!

#PeopleManagement

• 2.  RE: Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

Posted 08-20-2018 12:19 PM

Hey Jill!

We send our staff to many of the trainings that our police department offers (they call them Body, Mind, Spirit). So you might check with your police and fire departments to see if you can attend theirs. My officers have really found them helpful. We are also taking one of their trainings (16 hours) and modifying it for Animal Services. Once it is done, I hope to be able to share with everyone. I plan to break it up into a series of shorter classes.

Corey

#PeopleManagement

• 3.  RE: Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

Posted 08-21-2018 07:39 AM

Interesting to learn more about it.

#PeopleManagement

• 4.  RE: Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

Posted 08-21-2018 09:40 AM

I'm really excited about it and hope to have it done by the end of the year. In draft at this point, the sections include  - Why we are called to this profession (to be the good guys, inspired by a great purpose and our expectations), Resiliency, Culture of our profession, Respect (dignity and compassion too), Positive Psychology, Discretion (Practical Wisdom), Health and Wellness, Reediness (Our Finest Hour). There is another class called "Emotional Survival" that I plan to add after completing this series.

#PeopleManagement

• 5.  RE: Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

Posted 08-21-2018 10:18 AM

This is awesome. 

Please inbox me, maybe we can hop on a short call about this.

#PeopleManagement

• 6.  RE: Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

Posted 08-27-2018 09:31 AM

Sounds like amazing stuff - can't wait to hear more about it. I'd love to join a call as well, when you're ready. Email me at jill.brown@denvergov.org

#PeopleManagement

• 7.  RE: Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

Posted 08-22-2018 12:07 PM

I highly recommend Certified Compassion Fatigue Educator Jessica Dolce.  In fact, she's offering a course through Maddie's Shelter Medicine Program:

https://jessicadolce.com/compassion-fatigue-strategies-ufl/

UFL Compassion Fatigue Strategies

The next session of CFS begins SEPTEMBER 24th 2018!

I’ve teamed up with the University of Florida’s Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program to create Compassion Fatigue Strategies a four module, online, self-paced class for people who work with animals.

Compassion Fatigue Strategies is 100% online and you can take it at your pace. You’ll have access to all of the class materials on day one and then you can do the work at your own speed. We also get together for 4 live calls to practice stress reduction and mindfulness techniques. Plus, we talk shop in the discussion boards.

#PeopleManagement

• 8.  RE: Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

Posted 08-24-2018 06:07 AM

I also can't say enough good things about Jessica Dolce class and information.  Helped me personally.  

#PeopleManagement

• 9.  RE: Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

Posted 08-27-2018 09:33 AM

Thx so much for these resources! 

#PeopleManagement

• 10.  RE: Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

Posted 08-27-2018 07:51 PM

My pleasure Jill!  Jessica Dolce also hosts a great FaceBook group called the Compassionate Badassery Collective that you and your staff may find helpful.

#PeopleManagement

• 11.  RE: Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

Posted 08-23-2018 07:33 AM

Hi Jill! 

At the FredSPCA, we made compassion resilience a priority in 2017/2018. We offered our team with a progressive time off policy, paid lunches/breaks, all staff meetings on compassion resilience/adult learning, and weekly "all team" communication. We have seen a decrease in turnover, animal illness/bites, and enhanced community support. We would love to be involved with this and or  share our policies, training's, and communication templates with you  

#PeopleManagement

• 12.  RE: Compassion fatigue and resiliency / wellness trainings

Posted 08-27-2018 09:33 AM

Sounds amazing - so glad others are continuing to focus on this more too! I'd love to see anything you're willing to share. We have instituted wellness breaks and a few other trauma informed policies but since we're municipal, we're unable to give paid time for breaks, etc. I'm super interested in seeing anything you're willing to share though. Email me at jill.brown@denvergov.org Thx!

#PeopleManagement