Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Tips to get kennel staff to follow proper cleaning protocols

Posted 05-23-2018 01:20 PM

Does anyone have any experience with kennel staff that don't follow proper cleaning protocols (or basically just suck at cleaning, and cut corners constantly)? I am in a bind with one of my employees that no matter how many times I have given instruction, demonstrated, and explained the purpose things are still not being cleaned properly. Our facility is an impound only facility, so we don't know vaccine status on the majority of the pets in our care. So obviously, we need to be extremely diligent on cleaning/disinfecting everything properly. The kicker, is that HR will not allow me to provide any disciplinary actions. The only two things I have been able to do is create a written warning, go over it with the empoloyee and have them sign it; and change around cleaning duties between employees on the same shift. I don't believe HR understands how important cleaning protocols are in a facility that houses mostly unvaccinated pets. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am trying to keep things fair for the employees that are doing their job properly, as well as make sure we are minimizing the risk of transmitting disease as much as possible.

#PeopleManagement

• 2.  RE: Tips to get kennel staff to follow proper cleaning protocols

Posted 05-24-2018 06:53 AM

I'm guessing most shelters have one of those employees or more. I know I've had my share but luckily I have the option to terminate their employment and I make that very clear when they are being hired. I don't mess around with cleaning protocols. You get one verbal warning then one written then you are shown the door. I honestly don't want to wait that long. 

Ask your HR if it is going to take a panleuk, parvo, or distemper outbreak and the loss of countless animals lives because they would not let you reprimand or terminate this person's employment for not doing their job properly. It happened to us and it is one of the worst things I've ever had to deal with.  All because the sanitation protocols were not being followed. 

I would have a sit down discussion with your HR and let them know the costs associated with outbreaks. I'm not sure how your shelter handles them but we spent about $10,000 attempting to save kittens when we were hit with Panluekopenia and still lost 23 kittens. We also just went through a parvo outbreak where we spent over $15,000 but were able to save them all. However, we now have both of those diseases in the shelter and they stick around for a very long time and if you are not cleaning properly - they will stick around a lot longer. 

Good luck - I don't envy you

#PeopleManagement

• 3.  RE: Tips to get kennel staff to follow proper cleaning protocols

Posted 05-28-2018 09:13 AM

Maybe taking cultures after cleaning and show them to all employees could help?

#PeopleManagement

• 4.  RE: Tips to get kennel staff to follow proper cleaning protocols

Posted 05-24-2018 02:25 PM

Hello,

I recently heard a podcast about the power of using checklists in high stakes jobs, and how it can make drastic changes in the quality of care and the elimination of common mistakes and cutting corners.  https://www.npr.org/tags/560237315/checklists Maybe a checklist can help!

I would suggest  also asking the employee what they need to succeed at their job. Maybe there is a reason (other than laziness) that the job is not being done correctly. Maybe the employee is having trouble bending and a longer handle on a mop can help, or different goggles,  or face mask if they don't like the smell or spray of the chemicals. Perhaps different ear protection, or even a cart with wheels  for supplies etc...If that employee feels like their job is important, and management understands the various issues that they could be facing, then maybe they would be more willing to 

Many times employees are reluctant to be told what to do, because they feel like they are being talked down to, and that they know how to do their job (even if they aren't doing it correctly). Perhaps focusing on the importance of why certain protocols have helped stop the spread of very painful diseases, and why it is necessary to wait the full 5 minutes of contact, or whatever step is being missed, can help. Making it seem like you are all in it together with a common goal could shift their perspective.

You are probably already doing these things, but I wanted to throw it out there, either way. 

Good luck!

Teresa

#PeopleManagement

• 5.  RE: Tips to get kennel staff to follow proper cleaning protocols

Posted 06-19-2018 09:39 AM

We use checklists and they help tremendously! They are great for accountability and communication.

#PeopleManagement

• 6.  RE: Tips to get kennel staff to follow proper cleaning protocols

Posted 06-20-2018 05:12 AM

If your facility is a city or county facility, perhaps HR has a department this employee could be transferred to where their lack of detail would be less devastating. 

#PeopleManagement

• 7.  RE: Tips to get kennel staff to follow proper cleaning protocols

Posted 06-20-2018 10:50 AM

A great question followed by great answers.  I don't have anything to add but appreciate reading all the responses.  I'm sure this will be something we deal with in the future so I'm printing off these responses.

#PeopleManagement