Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Weaning kittens

Posted 05-04-2019 07:46 PM

My kittens are 5 weeks old. I started to wean them by adding wet food to there formula and bottle feeding them. They loved it. However it gave them diarrhea. The diarrhea lasted 3 days. I got nervous and switched them back to just formula. They now have a normal bowel movement. When should I try again and what do I do if the diarrhea happens again? 

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 2.  RE: Weaning kittens

Posted 05-05-2019 05:04 AM

Try introducing dry kitten food with the warm formula. They should be weaned at this age and have teeth. Make it like a mush and decrease the formula as you go. Hope this helps. 

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: Weaning kittens

Posted 05-05-2019 10:15 AM

Good idea! Thank you so much!

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 4.  RE: Weaning kittens

Posted 05-05-2019 08:31 PM

Hi Brooke!  My husband & I have been fostering for many years...  We usually start our babies on what I call 'kitten mash', which is formula mixed with a little canned kitten chicken food (I use an emulsifying blender)...  We do this as soon as their front teeth start to pop (about 3-4 weeks).  I should mention that at 3 weeks old I put a small (short sides) aluminum pan in their cage with potty sand.  At the time we start feeding kitten mash, we add dry food in a small bowl a few days later and a water bowl too.  Some will naturally supplement their food in a week or so.  Once they all have gotten their bellies back in shape (any change in food will give them soft stools for a few days), then I sit on the floor with a bottle & a plate of the kitten mash.  I bring lots of hand towels & a wet wash cloth or two also.  Some will go right to the food, others will take a few days (thus the bottle)...  It takes a few litters to figure out a schedule that works for you & the babies.  What I described above is what has worked for us...

As for the diarrhea, all babies will get a touch of diarrhea when you change the food, so you will want to mix in a little at a time, but it is not uncommon for this to happen... 

You are doing a great job!  Keep it up!

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 5.  RE: Weaning kittens

Posted 05-06-2019 12:20 PM

Thank you so much! I'm gonna try again and do what you sais

#PetHealthandNutrition