Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Which dog breed is a apartment friendly breed?

Posted 10-26-2018 12:16 AM

We are first time thinking to Adopt pets online. We have no experience to handle a dog. Right now living in a 1500 sq.ft. 3rd floor flat. But will move into a ground floor after 6 months. Some breeder suggested me only4Pets But we are not sure . Please help.

#General
    #adoptcatnearme
    #buypetsonline
    #adoptdogsnearme
    #adoptpetsonline

• 2.  RE: Which dog breed is a apartment friendly breed?

Posted 10-26-2018 05:48 AM

There really is no specific dog breed that is designed for apartment living. Like everything else, you have to evaluate the dog as an individual. Some little dogs can be hyper and yappy, some large dogs can be couch potatoes, happy to lie around calmly and quietly all day. Especially since you don’t have prior experience with dogs, I recommend meeting the dogs in person before choosing the one that’s right for your family and working with someone that can support you through the process as well as a resource for you when the dog is in your home. 

Good luck!

abby 

#General

• 3.  RE: Which dog breed is a apartment friendly breed?

Posted 10-26-2018 11:32 AM

HI Kavita,

I agree with Abby, there is no specific breed that is good for apartment living. I don't recommend choosing a dog solely via a website, unless you can also go visit the location where you will be buying a dog from. Puppy mills often hide behind legitimate looking websites, so always do your homework. 

I recommend going to a shelter or working with a rescue group to find a dog. You'll be able to meet dogs in person and talk to their caretakers to help find one who is suitable for you.

Good luck!

Sheila

#General

• 4.  RE: Which dog breed is a apartment friendly breed?

Posted 10-26-2018 08:03 PM

Check out AKC .org. they cover this topic and have recommendations for breeds that are great for apartment living.

#General