Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Order of operations

Posted 07-14-2020 09:24 PM

Hi community.  I'm trying to get a small animal rescue off the ground and I'm confused on the order I should be doing things?  For example, I can't start taking donations until I have a license, and I can't do that until my 1023 is approved so when do I start building my foster network and how can I if i'm not an official 501c3 yet?  I can't start pulling dogs until im approved and also have some funds.  So what is the order in which this all takes place.  Please help!  I want to do this so bad but i need some direction!

#OrganizationalManagement

• 2.  RE: Order of operations

Posted 07-15-2020 07:40 AM

Hi Andrea, how exciting this must be for you.  I am curious to hear what experienced, experts in this field have to say.  I am not one of them.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess at some ideas for you, but keep in mind I have never done this before.

1)  The first thing I would do is put a business plan together.  Include your mission statement.  This shows others what your plans are, and also keeps you on track.  Include your goals, short term and long term.  Include all of your plans, fostering, how you will continue to get funds, medical care including medications, leashes, bowls, toys, blankets, etc.

2)  Look into grants for funds needed for licensing, and funds for the 501C3, as well as any other expenses involved to get you off the ground.  Once this is done you can start reaching out to others for funds, volunteering, and in kind donations.

3)  Talk about what you are doing and planning with others.  They may have ideas, they may want to get involved financially, in kind donations, or through volunteering.  They may know others who will want to help.  I would start networking with local businesses (both pet, and non-pet related), as well as family, friends and neighbors.  Be involved with your local Chamber of Commerce.  Get the word out in your community.  As you grow, learn and have success, and are reaching your goals, keep your networking group and all those who have helped in the loop.  Continue to reach out to your community.

4)  There are some businesses who encourage their employees to volunteer in their community.  Research and find out who the ones in your community are.  Some businesses give their employees incentives to be involved with their community (time off, etc.)

5)  There are businesses who deliberately set funds aside to help non-profits.  Find out who they are.  Seek out ma and pa businesses, big box stores, local veterinarians, and big national companies to help keep you going (for example look into Amazon Smile).

5)  Make sure you show your appreciation to those who help you.  Write e-mails, hand written letters.  Shout out a big thank you on your social media pages/your website or blog.  Let others know how their help has helped/is helping your organization, and the animals you are helping.

I'm sure others have done this successfully and have better suggestions.  I hope this is helpful.  Please keep us posted on how this goes.

I wish you all the best with your new endeavor.

• 3.  RE: Order of operations

Posted 08-02-2020 02:28 PM

Wow! Thanks so much for your advice so helpful!

• 4.  RE: Order of operations

Posted 08-03-2020 11:31 AM

You are welcome Andrea.  I love working with non-profits, who do so much good to help others.   I wish you great success.

One other little thing that helps, although COVID-19 hinders it, but later try putting out donations jars in your community.  These add up, plus they raise awareness for your organization.  On the jars put the name of your organization, website, and phone number.

You would need trustworthy people to collect the money from the jars or swap them out, as you already know.  Believe it or not people do steal donation jars.  My husband used to manage a store and let a non-profit put a jar out and someone took the jar.  But that isn't the norm.