Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Meet Founding Member Stacy LeBaron

• 1.  Meet Founding Member Stacy LeBaron

Posted 01-04-2019 12:50 PM

In the first Founding Member interview of 2019, get to know more about headcat Stacy LeBaron from Community Cats Podcast!

@Stacy LeBaron
    Community Cats Podcast
    Vermont

Tell us about you and your history in animal welfare.

SL: I am the headcat at the Community Cats Podcast, I live in Vermont but spent many years in Massachusetts and grew up there.

I ran the Merrimack River Feline Rescue Society (www.mrfrs.org) for 16 years assisting over 100,000 cats and kittens during that time via our Catmobiles (mobile spay/neuter clinics), free feral cat clinics and our adoption program.

We are known for our work with the cats in the Greater Newburyport area where we had a colony of 300 cats on the waterfront in 1992 and by 2008 the last cat of the waterfront had passed away.

What are you most proud of in your career?

SL: The creation of the Catmobile program had always been a dream of mine since 1998 when I saw Dr. John Caltabiano speak at one of the MRFRS's annual meetings it was an "aha" moment for me, one I will never forget.

The Catmobiles have assisted over 100,000 cats and kittens since 2008 and I believe it is one of the reasons why we have so few cats and kittens in our shelters in Massachusetts.

Can you tell us more about the Catmobile program?

SL: Catmobile.org is the website and there is lots of good information. The Catmobile is staffed by a veterinarian and technician, and can assist up to 30 cats per day. Package includes a brief exam, spay/neuter, rabies vaccination for cats over 12 weeks of age, and FVRCP vaccination.

We have one Catmobile in service now-our first Catmobile after being in service for 9 years caught fire and died so MRFRS is down to one Catmobile. But I love it and it is a great program.

Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic

The Merrimack River Feline Rescue Society's Catmobile

Tell us something about yourself people might be surprised to learn

SL: I have a deep aversion to cleaning litter boxes. I have been doing it for over 30 years and I am tired of doing it. Do I still clean the litter box for my two cats. Yes, I do, but it is something that I really hate doing.

Who in animal welfare do you most want to meet/work/collaborate with?

SL: From an interview standpoint- I would really like to interview Beth Stern for the Community Cats Podcast. She seems be a really passionate cat lover that is interested in being hands on with foster care and an advocate.

https://www.communitycatspodcast.com/

Thanks for the interview, Stacy!

Interested in learning more about community cats? Registration is now open for the 2019 Online Cat Conference, a virtual convention for anyone who'd like to help community cats, will be held January 25, 26, 27!

So far the confirmed speakers include Betsy McFarland (Adisa), Kim Freeman (Lost Cat Finder), Hadyn Hilton (JavaCats Cat Cafe) and many more to be announced soon. Click here to register!

#foundingmemberinterview
    #foundingmember
    #communitycatspodcast
    #podcast
    #CommunityCats
    #CommunityCatManagement
    #foundingmemberfriday

• 2.  RE: Meet Founding Member Stacy LeBaron

Posted 01-13-2019 04:11 PM

Thanks so much!

#CommunityCatManagement