Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Supply Chain

Posted 12-29-2023 07:29 AM

One thing I learned this year is how the whole breeding thing is a business that closely mirrors my day job which is the sale of polymer additives (but could be the sale of anything).  

In my industry, with the advent of COVID, materials got scarce because of many supply chains impacted by the disease. (with the advent of COVID, people started adopting dogs to keep them company at home and they became scarce)

After a while, companies in my industry began ordering surplus because they feared that they wouldn't be able to get the ingredients they needed to make their end product.  (with the advent of dog scarcity, backyard breeders saw an opportunity to make a lot of money and began churning out dogs - after all, it's all about the money to them, a puppy is just $$$ in their pockets)

In 2023, many of my customers were working off inventories that they bought in 2022.  As a result, we started slowing down production finally once it was figured out that people had stockpiled.  The situation has only now, hopefully resolved itself.  (backyard breeders are only now (hopefully) figuring out that people are going back to work and not only don't want more puppies but are returning the one year olds that they adopted as puppies during COVID.  All this past year, breeders have been showing up at shelters with litters of puppies that they can't sell.  The situation has been horrifying. Unlike raw materials in my industry, you can't warehouse surplus dogs so you wind up euthanizing them.   

The question is, will the breeders slow down production of dogs now?  

#TransfersandTransport

------------------------------
    Peggy Schipper
    All Fur One
    ------------------------------