Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  HSUS EXPO 2022 Final Thoughts - The world of animal welfare is full of HOPE

Posted 04-28-2022 07:54 PM

After 2 years of seeing the animal welfare world through hundreds of virtual meetings, while having conversations with amazing people from extraordinary organizations it was great to see that all of you do actually exist.   Each and every one of you are just as amazing in person as you have been through our virtual conversations.

If nothing else would have happed at EXPO I would have come away with a sense of fulfillment.  However, what I witnessed on a daily basis was truly unforgettable.  In every session, roundtable, speaker assembly, vendor booth, social event, and to be honest every nook and cranny in the convention center I witnessed HOPE.  I saw people from all walks of life and all levels of animal welfare looking for change and "believing" that change is possible.  I saw multiple sessions where the session speakers reached out to the audience and brough them into the discussion and because of this it made the programs and information portrayed in the sessions appear more attainable and thus HOPE was born.  We truly had a conversation in each session because it appeared that people were being talked to rather than talked "at".

You could see how hungry for knowledge people were.  Business cards were handed out, like candy on Halloween.  Only there were no tricks here only offers of help through sharing of programs. policies procedures, hiring tips, marketing, etc.  I can only imagine the massive amount of information shared between organizations over the last week as we all got back to the office.  I know that I personally have sent information to 35-40 people and requested information from many that I found looking forward in animal welfare rather than looking behind. 

This was an extraordinary experience, and I would like to thank all who shared this experience with me.

P.S.  don't forget that learning never ends at Maddie's University  https://university.maddiesfund.org/

#EducationandTraining

------------------------------
    Mike Wheeler
    Director of Community Services
    Cabot Animal Support Services
    City of Cabot - Arkansas
    mwheeler@cabotar.gov
    501-743-1438

• 2.  RE: HSUS EXPO 2022 Final Thoughts - The world of animal welfare is full of HOPE

Posted 04-29-2022 10:23 AM
    It was so great to see you in person, Mike! And thank you so much for sharing your experience of HOPE at the conference. This is such an exciting time in animal welfare. Thank you for all your're doing!

Shelly Thompson
    Director of Operations
    Maddie's Fund

• 3.  RE: HSUS EXPO 2022 Final Thoughts - The world of animal welfare is full of HOPE

Posted 04-29-2022 06:41 PM
    Mike,
    When I saw you in "real life" for the first time, I nearly peed my pants! It was so surreal meeting folks that we had only spoken to on Zoom. I won't lie, I have admired you from afar on Zoom for so long and meeting you in person was amazing. You are correct, 100% right - there is HOPE.   We work with the most tenacious, intelligent, gifted, loving, die hard warriors ever. I left feeling exactly what you described-HOPE.  Together, all of us, can and will, change the face of animal sheltering in the United States. Until we meet again, make sure your pups and cats are chipped, tagged and you are marketing the message.
    Love you all,
    Gina

Gina Knepp
    National Shelter Engagement Director
    Michelson Found Animals Foundation
    Los Angeles, California
    916-230-4533

• 4.  RE: HSUS EXPO 2022 Final Thoughts - The world of animal welfare is full of HOPE

Posted 05-06-2022 04:54 AM
    Kudos to all the hard-working folks at HSUS for handling the COVID situation so well, too. That was a tough needle to thread. And a hearty thank you goes their way for expanding the time set aside for EXPO's ever-popular roundtables. We had two fabulous groups at Behavior Table #2, and the conversation was lively and really beneficial.

We're looking forward to New Orleans in 2023!

Lynne Swanson
    Safe Harbor Farm K9