Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Fees and Fines Policies and Procedures

Posted 10-05-2020 07:00 AM
    I checked past discussions and didn't see any on the topic of fees and fines. We all know that getting lost pets back to owners in a timely manner is important for the owners, pets and shelter management. However, many shelters are still using onerous fees and fines for owners wanting to reclaim pets, which burdens low income owners and presents barriers that make it difficult or impossible to reunite owner and pet.

Does anyone have a policy and procedures document to share with me that either outlines a workaround for low income/no income owners if fees and fines are mandated by a local government and/or has an alternative to a punitive system?  I'd like to share it with the local shelter and with the county government which mandates the schedule. 

If would also help to get advice from someone has been through making changes and had arguments for why changes work. Particularly if would help if you could address the "need for revenue to offset costs" argument (ie, what are the actual costs of administering a fees and fines protocol) and if there is any proof that waiving fees and fines increased RTO at no more cost to the shelter/government.

Thank you,

#fees and fines #return to owner #RTO #social justice​​​​
    #AdmissionsandIntake
    #ReturnstoOwner/Guardian

------------------------------
    Augusta Farley

• 2.  RE: Fees and Fines Policies and Procedures

Posted 10-05-2020 08:37 AM
    Good morning! For most organizations, the actual cost to house/care-for pets far outweighs the fees collected for RTO's.  More importantly, our goal should be to reunite pets with their people. It's the right thing to do for the pets and for the people. 

Here is a great resource: https://s3fs.bestfriends.org/s3fs-public/08812_Animal%20Control%20Manual_Interactive_FINAL%20PAGES%20lowres.pdf?mR_MZKe25jXaqh65xCQ5nFGNoK86rTCe&_ga=2.109005441.2044163894.1601912068-1498168749.1601912068
    Bestfriends remove preview
    View this on Bestfriends >

Nikki Harris

• 3.  RE: Fees and Fines Policies and Procedures

Posted 10-05-2020 06:27 PM
    That's an informative resource, for general overview.  However I'm looking not to convince the believers but the skeptical or indifferent who hold purse strings.  

Has anyone drilled down on the actual administrative costs for collection of f&f and the holding costs for the animals in at least one public shelter?

And of course that doesn't include the emotional and public reputation costs mentioned in the resource. I will use that paragraph in the document as it will mirror examples I'll  present to the county government.

Augusta Farley

• 4.  RE: Fees and Fines Policies and Procedures

Posted 10-06-2020 04:47 AM
    Yes, we know the costs for daily care of pets in our custody and the costs for them to be adopted. It's a wide variable, however, depending on individual organizations. Items to consider: intake protocols (vaccinations, tests, etc.); staffing (animal care, medical staff, doctors); facility costs; spay/neuter requirements (internal vs. external surgical costs); required holding times; medical treatment/care options/availability....

Nikki Harris