Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Foster for mama dog with bite history

Posted 04-14-2022 09:16 AM
    Good morning! For the first time in my almost 6 years at our shelter, we have a new conundrum. We had a dog come in for a rabies quarantine hold, very pregnant. On her second night here, she gave birth to 10 puppies. The owner is homeless and we have not had any contact with her. Momma and babies are all doing well. The city deemed momma potentially dangerous. All we know about the bite incident is that she was leashed outside and she bit a man when he walked by her.

Once the quarantine period was up we moved momma and babies into our cat nursery, which is thankfully empty at this moment. She has warmed up to the staff and becomes more at ease with us each day. We would like to get her and babies into foster but are somewhat nervous about this due to her circumstances. We are thinking a home with no kids under 13 but we're not sure what other precautions we could be taking. Anyone with experience in this or have suggestions?
    #FosterPrograms

------------------------------
    amy bartholomew

• 2.  RE: Foster for mama dog with bite history

Posted 04-15-2022 11:21 AM

Hi Amy - we primarily take rescue only dogs or dogs that are injured and need extensive care. While we sometimes are lucky, many of our rescue only dogs are either 5/5 fearful at the shelter or already have snarled, snapped, shown teeth, or have actual bite histories. And, rarely is that an issue for our fosters.

We start from the perspective that almost no dog ever bites unless it is protecting itself. Of course, what they are afraid of may be extensive and they may not be socialized early enough and so on, but if you start from the perspective that the dog was not deliberately aggressive, that can help people feel more comfortable.

Here are things we would consider for the foster:
    -no children, quiet home, not a lot going on - this includes things such as no introductions to people or dogs to the dog for weeks - no one approaches the dog, pets the dogs, comes over and wants to meet the dog.

-truly understands and embodies patient, calm leadership. This means that they never push the dog to be touched, to have unwanted contact. The dog initiates contact and when they do, the person responds conservatively. Many people want to push affection - that can lead to more bites.

-agrees to keep the dog safe -  If anyone approaches on a walk, you say "The dog is in training, please don't approach." They have to follow all the guidelines. They need to know how to walk the dog safely - whether it be to turn around when another dog approaches, walk around in a wide berth, etc. They also need the right equipment. A soft muzzle may be helpful in some instances, such as for vet visits.

-agrees to whatever training method you espouse.  We focus on calm, consistent, patient leadership. We also believe that redirection may be essential to keep the person and the dog safe. If the dog starts to get amped up, they need to have some basic tools to ensure the safety of everyone. Know what you want them to do and teach them how to do it.

-they know what to look for when a dog is scared. The physical characteristics - tail position, ear position, mouth closed, lip licking, hackles up, growling, etc. Dogs don't just launch into biting. They give warning - if we are paying attention. This is where slow and patient is so important. If you're doing that, most of the time you can see what is coming

-has grit, for lack of a better word. Some people give up when the dog growls or pees in the wrong place. For a dog that is fearful, it can be hard work. They need to be people who will stick with it.

Hope this gives some food for thought. Hopefully others will answer, too, so you have more ideas on how to make it work for your situation.

Ann Battenfield
    Senior Team Member

• 3.  RE: Foster for mama dog with bite history

Posted 04-15-2022 01:46 PM
    Thank you Ann! This does help!

amy bartholomew

• 4.  RE: Foster for mama dog with bite history

Posted 04-15-2022 02:22 PM
    Awesome!  I thought of one other thing. We had a young brother/sister pair that came in with a bite history.  And, in the shelter (and at the vet's in boarding), they WERE extremely protective of themselves. Once we had one of them in a foster home, it was clear they were super good dogs. Often when someone can get them out of the shelter, even on a walk, you can tell a lot more about them. With a mom with pups, that may not be easily doable because the mom may not be vaccinated, but even 30 minutes away from a stressful environment with someone who has experience "reading" dogs  can tell you what you might need to be cautious about.

Ann Battenfield
    Senior Team Member
    The Little Red Dog
    Lake Forest

• 5.  RE: Foster for mama dog with bite history

Posted 04-18-2022 09:19 AM
    Thank you, Ann!

amy bartholomew

• 6.  RE: Foster for mama dog with bite history

Posted 04-18-2022 08:59 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi Amy,
    That's a tricky situation especially with 10 puppies. The fact that the dog lived on the streets and was tied up at the time of the bite, there are, potentially, several reasons for that bite that are not necessarily linked to aggression towards people (life on the street can be stressful, being tied up (perhaps in a strange place) will make her feel even more vulnerable, what was the man doing when he walked by, etc.)

Ten puppies is A LOT of work so you'll need a foster with 1-5 spare hours per day. Below is a chart of the average amount of time required to care for mom and 10 puppies.
    Average amount of time required to foster 10 puppies

I think Amy is spot on with her advice. I had a couple other thoughts. The puppies should be handled at least one time, everyday and by different people. https://worldreadypets.com/articles/early-neurological-stimulation. If Mom does not like her puppies being touched, all the more reason to handle them often. Just have someone Mom who trusts take her for a walk while other people handle the puppies. As the puppies get older (4+ weeks) you'll want to avoid creating situations that would cause Mom to behave inappropriately. You don't want the puppies to learn aggressive behaviors like growling at strangers. 

I had a foster mom with six puppies who was a nervous, untrusting gal. I don't remember her growling at me but she did lunge at a 2 year old child who approached her whelping box (non that unreasonable considering since her puppies were only about 2 weeks old and the child was a stranger). When the puppies were 4 weeks old, she began growling and snapping at them over food, toys and even when they tried to play with her. Since the puppies were already eating mush and gaining weight, we decided it was best to remove Mom from the litter. The night after she left, I saw a couple puppies crying in a way that seemed they were calling to her but they were back to normal the next day. I think it was the right move because I saw a more aggression between these puppies during play than I have seen from other litters. 

I attached a PDF that might be helpful. Because I got tired of always going back to the shelter for more supplies (and because I'm a spreadsheet nerd), I created a spreadsheet that calculates all the consumable supplies needed (food, potty pads) based on the fosters' ages, sizes and length of time in foster care. I guessed a bit on the dog's size, puppies DOB and length of time in foster but I created a form that might be helpful when getting their supplies ready to go into foster care. You can learn more and watch a video on how it works here https://worldreadypets.com/foster-supplies/foster-supply-calculator.

Best of luck and let me know if you have questions!

Diane Zahorodny
    World Ready Pets

Attachment(s)

pdf
    foster-supply-calculator.pdf   196 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Foster for mama dog with bite history

Posted 04-18-2022 09:22 AM
    Thank you, Diane!!

amy bartholomew