Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Shelter and Rescue Support call - Monday, 5/2/22 - Integrating Shelter Pets into Homes with Resident Pets

• 1.  Shelter and Rescue Support call - Monday, 5/2/22 - Integrating Shelter Pets into Homes with Resident Pets

Posted 05-02-2022 07:53 AM

Updated 5/2/22 at 2:40pm PT. Recording now available to watch on-demand!

Don't forget to enter to win a grant each time you attend or watch on-demand during the month of May here: https://www.maddiesfund.org/monday-community-conversations-may22-giveaway.htm 

Monday, 5/2/22 Shelter & Rescue Support Call 
    Session Topic:   Integrating Shelter Pets into Homes with Resident Pets (12:24)
    Speakers:  @Lindsay Hamrick, CPDT and Director of Shelter Outreach & Engagement for the HSUS

* The full agenda, resources, and chat log from this call have been shared below *

Maddie's Monday Shelter and Rescue Support Call (LINK TO REGISTER)
    Quick Reminder: You can also watch previous recordings on the Community Conversations page in Maddie's Pet Forum!

​​​​

• 2.  RE: Shelter and Rescue Support call - Monday, 5/2/22 - Integrating Shelter Pets into Homes with Resident Pets

Posted 05-02-2022 02:42 PM
    Thanks to the 170 attendees on our first Monday call in May! The recording is now available to watch on demand. Don't forget to enter to win a grant each time you attend or watch on-demand during the month of May here: https://www.maddiesfund.org/monday-community-conversations-may22-giveaway.htm 

Below you'll find the full agenda and shared resources. I've also included three attachments:
    • The chat file from the call
    • PDF of Presentation:  Integrating Shelter Pets Into Homes with Resident Pets 
    • PDF of Integrating a Shelter Animal Into a Home with Other Pets Guidelines -- includes Phases 1-4, timelines and goals

Agenda

• Host: Bobby Mann, Chief Programs Officer, Humane Rescue Alliance (HRA) bmann@humanerescuealliance.org
    • Question of the Day: Please share a recent big win at your organization 

National Updates and Resource Links

--------------

Session Information & Links

@Lindsay Hamrick, CPDT and Director of Shelter Outreach & Engagement for the HSUS, will discuss the challenges with restricting shelter pets from living in homes with resident pets and how this impacts length of stay. She'll highlight how to better support potential adopters in slowly and safely introducing shelter pets into their homes so that pets can leave more quickly. Tips in this presentation can also apply to owners who are struggling with conflict between resident pets in an effort to keep pets in their existing homes when possible. This presentation will not focus on severe dog-dog aggression or pets with a history of seriously harming other animals.

------------------------------
    Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund

• 3.  RE: Shelter and Rescue Support call - Monday, 5/2/22 - Integrating Shelter Pets into Homes with Resident Pets

Posted 05-05-2022 02:08 PM
    So, I absolutely loved the presentation and got a lot of great ideas from it! I really like the idea of the short, automated survey being sent out so many days after adoption to see how things are going. We use Shelter Manager and don't really reach out to adopters once they've adopted. I would like to start though! Especially in the cases of the more difficult animals who would be considered "restricted". What are some ways I can start this new process that would be easy for both me and my colleague? Our shelter literally has 2 Shelter Techs....myself and a part-time tech who comes in on the weekends. I am typically alone at the shelter all day with the occasional visit from one of our ACOs. So, the easier the better! I know Chameleon was mentioned....I don't know what that is (sorry!). Can someone explain it or give me some other ideas that would help us accomplish setting this up? Thank you!!

Holly Brown
    Shelter Technician
    Heber Valley Animal Services
    Heber City, UT