Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  CARE's Project Implicit Bias Test

Posted 10-01-2020 01:49 PM

CARE IS FOCUSED ON TRANSFORMING THE ANIMAL WELFARE INDUSTRY WITH RESEARCH, INSPIRING NARRATIVES, EVIDENCE-BASED INCLUSION TRAINING, AND COMPASSION.

Part of that evidence requires collecting data essential to studying our implicit biases. We all have biases, all of us. With your help, we can better understand biases in an effort to remove unintentional barriers to life saving. Your anonymous input will become a vital resource in helping us design strategies that better connect the field to people and the animals they love. 

This is like NO test you have ever taken (unless you have taken a Project Implicit test before). This measures your speed, your delay, following directions and your perception of yourself.  We have worked long and hard creating a test that addresses biases inside the animal welfare field and we are excited to collect baseline data and move forward to save more lives.

Please invite your organization to take this test, including Board members, Veterinary staff and Volunteers. Please click on the link below to begin. 

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/Launch?study=/user/nicolef/contract.care.3iats//manager.expt.xml

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, CONCERNS, ISSUES, PLEASE REFER TO HAVARD'S PROJECT IMPLICIT PAGE
    Project Implicit FAQs

#AccesstoCare
    #AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms
    #DataandTechnology
    #EducationandTraining
    #MarketingandSocialMedia
    #PeopleManagement

------------------------------
    Jennifer Evans
    Companions and Animals for Reform and Equity (CARE)

• 2.  RE: CARE's Project Implicit Bias Test
    Best Answer

Posted 10-02-2020 11:26 AM
    This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing it, Jennifer.

Kim Domerofski
    Maddie's Fund

• 3.  RE: CARE's Project Implicit Bias Test

Posted 10-06-2020 01:45 PM

Hi Jennifer,

The board of our all-volunteer, foster-based rescue has been seeking guidance on inclusion and diversity, and this post is well timed for us. A fellow board member sent me the link.

Do you have any recommendations or guidelines for using the results of this test to foster healthy and positive discussions once members of an organization have completed it on their own? I have taken implicit bias tests before and understand that reactions can be complicated. There are levels of both individual and societal responsibility that can be hard to discuss without defensiveness or fear.

For example, I remember my results showing me as being slightly biased against women, though I am one and consider myself an ardent feminist. Then again I have lived in Utah for 25+ years, one of the worst states for women's equality so I swim in these attitudes every day. It was painful to me to see how I had apparently absorbed some of them. And I wasn't sure what to do next with the test results (besides move?).

Any tips, advice, or possible mentoring or training opportunities welcome.

Jen Colby

• 4.  RE: CARE's Project Implicit Bias Test

Posted 10-07-2020 08:15 AM
    I was extremely irritated by this test because if you didn't give the answer they wanted, then an X flashed on your screen and you had to choose the answer they wanted.  Their bias is clear and the answers they want are being forced.  Not a reasonable test.

• 5.  RE: CARE's Project Implicit Bias Test

Posted 10-07-2020 08:59 PM
    I agree Sara; I didn't bother once I read the first questions because the limited options for answers mean no nuance is allowed, and because it seems clear what they are trying to prove--something that is already driven largely by bias in our industry. 

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email communication contains confidential information that is legally privileged. Any disclosure, copying, dissemination, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this email except its direct delivery to the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that your receipt of this email and/or any included attachments was not intended by the sender and that your possession, use, and/or sharing of this information is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by telephone at (831)239-9417 and destroy all copies of the email and any attachments.

• 6.  RE: CARE's Project Implicit Bias Test

Posted 10-09-2020 08:33 AM
    Sounds like you're talking about the "hit E or I for these specific words or pictures" portion? Those aren't actually questions, but directions :)
    So when you don't follow the directions, it lets you know (the red X) and then you're supposed to follow the directions before it shows the next item. I've taken similar bias tests before and it's actually measuring how quickly or slowly you follow the specific directions. So if I'm a lot faster following the directions correctly when "Wealthy" and "Approach" are associated than when "Poor" and "Approach" are associated, it shows some bias towards Wealthy adopters over Poor adopters. 
    Hope that helps!

Erin Dams