Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  How to increase YouTube followers for a shelter?

Posted 08-12-2021 08:01 AM
    Hi all. I run the marketing and social media for our community shelter. Right now we have a lot of videos uploaded to our youtube channel but very few followers. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for making a youtube channel more dynamic for our animals? We really want to use it to its full capacity to help publicize our adoptions, fosters, events, etc. Thanks so much!
    #MarketingandSocialMedia

------------------------------
    Kat Benson
    Animal Protection Society of Durham

• 2.  RE: How to increase YouTube followers for a shelter?

Posted 08-12-2021 09:19 AM

Hi Kat, I'm tagging @Kasey Spain and @Sara Miller who are much more knowledgeable on this topic I'm sure and can point you in the right direction. I did find this article online that looks to have some solid tips, https://www.socialbrite.org/2019/07/24/how-nonprofits-can-make-the-best-use-of-youtube

It may be helpful to view other channels of animal welfare orgs with alot of subscribers, and see what they seem to be doing to stand out. ​​ Hope that helps!

Clare Callison
    American Pets Alive

• 3.  RE: How to increase YouTube followers for a shelter?

Posted 08-12-2021 10:12 AM
    Great response Sara! I would also recommend posting consistently with your content and starting with simple videos (always with an animal) that contain animal caretaking tips like enrichment games, how to stuff a kong, crate training etc. Use a dog or cat in your care and lightly talk about them but focus on short videos with great tips that are useable by any pet owner/lover. One of my favorite animal shelter youtube channels is Atlanta Humane: https://www.youtube.com/user/atlantahumane/videos

I hope this helps!

Kasey Spain

• 4.  RE: How to increase YouTube followers for a shelter?

Posted 08-13-2021 01:14 PM
    Thank you so much!

Kat Benson

• 5.  RE: How to increase YouTube followers for a shelter?

Posted 08-12-2021 09:44 AM
    Hi Kat!

I took a quick look at your channel and have a few tips I think you could definitely try out.

• Link to your Youtube channel on your website
    • Cross promote your Youtube channel on your other social media channels
    • Use voiceover for videos that show text on the screen. This is more engaging and makes the content more accessible.
    • SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is important for Youtube! When you are titling your videos and writing the descriptions, think about what people will type into the search bar. This is also something important to think about when you're creating the content.
        • The recent video with an adoption story is great! People love watching that sort of thing online and do going looking for it. Just add more detail to the description to help your video show up in search results and a CTA (call to action) for people to adopt in the description, with links to your website.
    • Add more information to your video descriptions, use keywords, talk about what people will learn or find in the video. Add links to your website and other social media channels so it's easy for someone to learn more about what your shelter has to offer.
    • In the same vein as my last tip, include a Call to Action in each video. Is that leaving a comment? Checking out info on fostering or adopting? Tell your audience what you want them to do, and make it easy by sharing links and details.
    I hope this helps!

Sara Miller
    American Pets Alive!

• 6.  RE: How to increase YouTube followers for a shelter?

Posted 08-13-2021 01:15 PM
    Wow this is so helpful. Thank you!

Kat Benson

• 7.  RE: How to increase YouTube followers for a shelter?

Posted 08-13-2021 01:41 PM
    You're welcome! Let us know if we can answer any additional questions! Can't wait to see your channel grow.

Sara Miller
    American Pets Alive!

• 8.  RE: How to increase YouTube followers for a shelter?

Posted 08-25-2021 09:49 AM
    Hi Kat! Any luck growing your channel?

Sara Miller
    American Pets Alive!