Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Your Favorite Interview Questions?

Posted 08-09-2021 01:17 PM
    What are your favorite questions to ask during an interview? Specifically to help gauge how a person will be interacting with the public- adopters, fosters, people seeking support services etc. It's difficult to teach someone how to have a friendly conversation and navigate the many grey areas, so hiring the right personality is very important. Curious to hear any of your favorite interview questions that are out there?  Thanks!
    #AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms
    #CaseManagement*
    #OrganizationalManagement
    #PeopleManagement(includingVolunteerIntegration)

------------------------------
    Clare Callison
    American Pets Alive

• 2.  RE: Your Favorite Interview Questions?

Posted 08-09-2021 02:52 PM
    I like to ask "What excites you most about the job?" 

It not only tells me what they think the job actually is but gives some insight into what motivates them. Is it just being around the animals or do they find joy in helping people too? Maybe it's just steady income. Whatever it is, you can usually tell if there is any degree of compassion or care (or actual excitement) in their answer.

In my corporate life prior to animal welfare, we had a mantra: "hire for attitude, train for skill". I know there are some positions that have specialized skills but for those positions where skills can be taught, attitude is everything!

Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund

• 3.  RE: Your Favorite Interview Questions?

Posted 08-09-2021 05:13 PM
    love that question- thank you!

Clare Callison
    American Pets Alive

• 4.  RE: Your Favorite Interview Questions?

Posted 08-10-2021 03:42 PM
    My partner used to interview lots and lots of people during her retail career. One of my favorite questions she would ask as kind of an ice breaker question was, "what's on your keychain?" This would usually throw people off because it's not your normal interview question but there's something about seeing what someone carries on their keychain and how they explain it to you that gives you some insight to their personality.  

I'm more of a slender keychain person. One carabiner that doubles as a bottle opener is all I need with only a house & car key. My partner is the exact opposite and prefers something that's big with lots of keychains so it's easy to find in her purse (which describes our personalities like no other lol). It's also fun and easy to do in group interview settings.

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 5.  RE: Your Favorite Interview Questions?

Posted 08-10-2021 04:24 PM
    I never would have thought of this - so smart! I’m the large key chain/carabiner type so it never gets lost in my purse :)

---------------------------------
    Clare Callison

American Pets Alive
    ---------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Your Favorite Interview Questions?

Posted 08-11-2021 06:25 AM
    I would have never thought of asking someone " what's on your keychain"?! That's awesome and it gives you a look into what kind of personality that person has! :) I've always liked in interviews either it be me interviewing or the other way around but when someone asks "Where do you see yourself in 5 years"?  My answer has always been "working with animals." regardless of where I was applying lol Some people know and some are still figuring it out and that's okay! :)  I have one of those key holders that hangs on the side of my purse so they don't get lost lol & it's a Paw Print.

Jessica Collins
    Thomasville-Thomas County Humane Society

• 7.  RE: Your Favorite Interview Questions?

Posted 08-11-2021 08:03 AM
    A fun question I like to ask is, what is your enneagram type? It gives some insight into their personality. I'm a 6 wing 5.

Sara Miller
    American Pets Alive!

• 8.  RE: Your Favorite Interview Questions?

Posted 08-12-2021 02:45 PM
    I love the keychain answer! So creative.

I think a really telling question to ask a person is, "What are the top three adjectives your past coworkers and/or friends would use to describe you?". This can be an interesting way to hear what personal qualities they have that they value and feel are important to share.

Eliza Torres
    Administrative Assistant
    AmPA!/HASS